How to back up linked file?

My understanding is, in Zotero's terminology, attached file and linked file are different. By attching a file, the file will be stored in Zotero's 'xxx/profile/ggv43wjy.default/zetoro/storage/XXXXXXXX' under the 8-digit random folder given by zotero. by linking a file to an entry in zotero, you right click on the entry and link any file on your computer you like. for the attached file, it's easy to make back up. You just copy the folder where the storage locates, and when you shift to a new computer, you copy it again, and restart the firefox and zotero. But for the linked files, suppose all the linked files are within just one folder, if I change my computer, there is still no option to automatically reserve the linkage between the entries and linked files?
  • that's essentially correct, yes.
    There are ways to bulk edit the link structure using sqlite or the new api, but right now none of them are even close to "out of the box". Relative links are planned but no one know when they'll be implemented.
  • That said, if you just want all files in one folder, you can just have a virtual folder/saved search with all pdfs in the Zotero folder. Also you can move the storage folder out of the FF profile in the advanced tab of the Zotero preferences.
  • edited January 21, 2011
    Thank you for your response. I see your point. The problem is, you can't realize maintaing the linkage (attachment) between files and their entries when you change computer, while at the same time you can also store them on your computer as you want and if necessary, you can browse the files very easy and orderly manner. All what I say is based on windows XP system, since I am not familiar with linux.
  • yes - I tried to acknowledge that this is the case and that there is no real solution at this time.

My second post on virtual folders just points to the possibility of storing items in Zotero, but having them easily "browsable" - i.e. all pdfs in one folder - at the same time. That only works so-so on Windows XP, but very nicely on Vista and W7 as well as Mac and Linx
    http://thinkabdul.com/2007/03/29/tip-how-to-create-virtual-folders-in-windows-xp-and-vista/
  • Thank you again, helpful:-)
  • This is what I do on Windows: I create a virtual drive through the SUBST command that is associated with a local path where you store your actual attached files. Everytime I attach a linked file, I use the virtual location. When I move to another computer I create the same virtual drive letter and then synchronise the content with the original computer (I use robocopy).

To avoid having to synchronise the files, one can actually use an external storage device as the local path to store the files.