Zotero standalone 2.1a2 sqlite version recognition problem

Hi,

First of all, thank you very much for releasing an alpha for our perusal. Either for your information or comment I am having a problem running zotero due to recognition of my sqlite version. When I start zotero I get a box popping up which states "The application has been updated, but your version of SQLite is too old and the application cannot run". I have tried both the prebuilt version and built my own. I have a reasonable amount of experience with programming and linux however, I am perfectly happy to state that I am not a developer but am willing to try.

I am running fedora 14, "sqlite -version" gives 2.8.17 and "sqlite3 -version" gives 3.7.4. I assume that zotero is recognising sqlite rather than sqlite3 and I can't find where/how to change this.

Thank you again for zotero standalone, I would be grateful for any help you can give but I certainly don't expect it as this is an alpha version.

Thanks again

Tom
  • Did you access the Zotero database in a recent SQLite 3 client?

Neither Zotero for Firefox nor Zotero for Standalone have anything at all to do with the command-line client—the SQLite library is built in to Firefox/XULRunner. If you opened the database in a recent command-line version it could upgrade the database past what the built-in version can support, though.

Nobody has ever reported this, so it seems pretty likely that this is something you did.
  • Thank you for responding, this is certainly interesting then. I don't think I've opened the database in any client apart from zotero 2.1b4 (which still works) and I also installed the pre built client on another f14 computer and have exactly the same problem even though this computer has never had zotero installed on it.

I tried replacing the packaged version of libmozsqlite3 with one included with xulrunner 2.0b9 but as expected this didn't help. I'm sorry to say I'm completely out of ideas, if there is anything I can do to help please let me know.
  • We'll test on Fedora 14.
  • I experienced the same problem with FC14 on x86_64. Turns out that the problem was that using the latest package
    xulrunner-1.9.2.13-5.fc14.x86_64
    zotero would not function with complaints that SQLite was too old, whereas with the older
    xulrunner-1.9.2.13-1.fc14.x86_64
    zotero-standalone would function properly. The difference is the inclusion in the latest xulrunner package of the file
    /usr/lib64/xulrunner-1.9.2/libmozsqlite3.so
    which wasn't there previously. I just renamed this file to libmozsqlite3.so_bad and 'voilá', zotero-standalone is working again... took a while though to figure this one out!
  • Excellent thank you! This solution works perfectly for me as well.
  • I can confirm the problem with a fresh 32-bit installation of fedora 14. I can also confirm that renaming /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.2/libmozsqlite3.so works.

Isn't there a an alternative solution without renaming a library which, I guess, is there with some purpose?

Thanks a lot!
  • If you use firefox 3.6.13, it won't start without the libmozsqlite3.so library. As a sidenote I checked that firefox-4 beta includes its own version of libmozsqlite3.so, and if you put it in the place of the xulrunner original lib, both firefox 3.6.13 and zotero-standalone seem to work with no problems. Again, this is not to say that one should use this procedure, only to note that libmozsqlite3.so seems to be to blame in this particular problem. I do not pretend to know what is wrong with this particular library included in the xulrunner-1.9.2, but this definitely seems to be a lead for developers to look into (and apparently those at firefox did!).
  • Thank you very much.
  • This work around allows me to start stand-alone Zotero (2.1a2), but it breaks Firefox (3.6.13) because it:

Couldn't load XPCOM.

on Fedora 14 with XUL runner 1.9.2

Apart from installing a new Firefox, has anyone found a solution for peaceful co-existence?

In either case, the OpenOffice plugin is not able to communicate with Zotero, but this could be an unrelated problem.