Can't install OpenOffice components on Linux

Can anybody help me know why the Zotero toolbar is still missing in my OpenOffice installation after I upgraded to Zotero 2.0?

Probably I screwed up something, because I first installed OpenOffice integration without uninstalling the Zotero 1.0 extension in OpenOffice—I only deactivated it. Strangely enough, Zotero 2.0's extension got installed then and I saw the new extension on the OOo extension list along with the previously existing Zotero.oxt, and the Zotero toolbar was still there, but got an error message when trying to refresh a document or insert citations (unfortunately didn't write down the message).

Then I told the Zotero extension to reinstall the OOo components, which it seemingly did, because an OK message came up, but I still was getting the same message in OOo. Next I uninstalled both extensions in OOo and Firefox, restarted Firefox, and reinstalled OOo integration (with OOo closed), but now the toolbar and both extensions are all missing in OOo, and when I press on 'Reinstall OpenOffice Components' it does nothing, not even an error message. What is wrong?

My OS is Mandriva Linux 2010.0, on an Intel 32bit machine. The other software is Firefox 3.6.3 and OpenOffice 3.1.1.2 (both from the Mandriva repositories) and Zotero 2.0.3. The OOo-Zotero integration addon itself is 3.0a7. The path to Java UNO runtime is file:///usr/lib/ooo/ure/share/java/, and file:///usr/lib/ooo/program/ to the OOo executable, and I've verified that both directories exist.

My Java installation is not Sun's own but OpenJDK (IcedTea) 1.0.6, but anyway I installed the OpenJDK web browser plugin from the Mandriva repos and now the test applet on the Java site reports on Firefox that Java 6 update 18 is installed. OOo also recognizes the path to OpenJDK, although I see no Java console on Firefox's Tools menu. Is this related at all with my problem?
  • probaby several things going wrong, but for a start, you'll need the original sun java, jdk/icedtea won't work with the plugin.
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#component_loading_error_on_ubuntu_linux
    has instructions for Ubuntu, maybe they help for Mandriva.
  • edited May 31, 2010
    You were right, installing Sun's Java and its web plugin fixed the issue.

But first, I uninstalled all OOo extensions and then removed the contents of ~/.ooo3/user/uno_packages/cache/ (as the extensions didn't seem to disappear, but probably this was unnecessary) so that the toolbar reappeared after doing 'Reinstall OpenOffice Components' from Firefox. Then I got the error message again, which the new Java machine fixed.

I also had to put a link to the new plugin in ~/.mozilla/plugins, disable the IcedTea plugin on Firefox's addon pane, and tell OpenOffice to use the new Java installation, because I didn't want to uninstall OpenJDK just because of Zotero (it works fine for everything else. I like both coffee and tea!
  • Ok, few things for ubuntu users !
    1- You can't use ubuntu openoffice build by ubuntu team with zotero ! You have to use the official openoffice.org version !
    2- Once you have installed official openoffice.org version (most of the time in /opt/openoffice.org/), you have to remove your openoffice profile by doing :
    sudo rm -rf .openoffice.org in your /home
    3- Then you can finally install the extension from zotero website and follow website instructions.
  • EDIT :
    Ok, my last post wasn't so good as I hoped...I've done again this manipulation (on an ubuntu fresh install) and it doesn't solve the problem.