How to install Zotero Everywhere in Ubuntu 10.04?

Thanks for releasing the brand new version of Zotero Everywhere as a standalone application.

However, I am unable to install this in Ubuntu 10.04. I have downloaded the tar version, extracted it and run zotero executable.

I do get to see the "Welcome to Zotero Notification" and the stand alone application.

Yet, where to install the application so that I could run it from the menu itself and save the pdf's that need to be associated with it.

Why couldn't the developers release this as a .deb file prepackaged? I even tried to make a deb file using checkinstall but it failed. I am sure it does not take a lot of effort but if the developers are really smart, they could have easily set up a ppa for the same and given instructions. As soon as the new features are rolled into it, the users installing ppa would get notified immediately.

Somethings are made simpler by simple common sense. I am not a techie to "make install"; I need to devote time to get things done and not make things complicated.
  • The packaging for Linux and Windows is currently a problem; it works, but not in the way that users are used to. This alpha release just gets Standalone out the door and on the desktops of eager users. I've filed a ticket for this (https://www.zotero.org/trac/ticket/1761), and I'm sure it'll be cleared up by the final release of Standalone.
  • I need to devote time to get things done and not make things complicated.
    Then don't run alpha software.
  • edited January 17, 2011
    Also:
    Yet, where to install the application so that I could run it from the menu itself and save the pdf's that need to be associated with it.
    Getting an arbitrary program into the programs menu is really your business—presumably you should know how to do that on your OS of choice.

I'm not sure what you mean by the second part, but note that, regardless of where the executable is located, Zotero data is stored in the ~/.zotero directory on Linux by default, so the lack of an installer doesn't have any effect on where the data goes.

For what it's worth, Windows will definitely get an installer before the final version of Zotero standalone. I don't know if the Linux version will—even Firefox itself is distributed as a tarball, with different distros packaging it as appropriate. I'm not sure we want to get into the business of building distro-specific packages.
  • For what it's worth, you can add items to the main menu in Ubuntu in
    Preferences-->Main Menu...
    You can also get there by right-clicking on the Applications menu and selecting "Edit Menu".
    Then just select the category you want to place Zotero in on the left and click "New Item"
  • @Dan:

I don't have any issues with alpha software. FYI, I use nightly builds of nearly everything I use. I am aware of the issues with using alpha software but I am not prepared if the developers throw in a tar.gz format at linux users which refuses to compile or packaged :)

This place is not meant for trolling but it would have been worthwhile to include an option for ppa which is integrated with routine updates and hence there is no risk of loosing data.

Again apologies but Firefox centric behaviour is hard to explain. There are choices that I have made and with good reasons. Had Zotero not come in with high enough recommendations and a genuine need for it, I wouldn't have bothered to stick around here. But if the developers are keen for a good product, they ought to have thick enough skins to take a bit of criticism for having their heads in the sands approach. I call this stupidity to refuse support to other browsers (and distros).

@Adam, yes I have been able to integrate this in the menu; thanks. However, the big issue is that once another update comes in, I am not sure whether my data would stick on in the upgrade; for the time being I have been able to run it but it's not installed.
  • Regardless of what you say, calling people stupid if they don't do things the way you like _is_ trolling - and no, you're not being constructive. You're just telling people - "well, I would also like this and this and this and do it quickly and do it free, and no, I can't be bothered to put any effort in it myself".

People like you make developers reluctant to put out early public alphas because you'll come around and nag them. The whole point of an "alpha" is that you don't get to nag - you get to play with the software early on and report errors. You're doing a serious disservice to the community.
  • I don't have any issues with alpha software. FYI, I use nightly builds of nearly everything I use.
    That's great, but my point was that you have no idea what the final package will resemble—since we don't, either—and shouldn't post as if you do.
    I am not prepared if the developers throw in a tar.gz format at linux users which refuses to compile or packaged
    Frankly, I think you're mostly confused here. A whole lot of software is distributed in tarball form, including Firefox and Thunderbird, which are pretty top-flight applications put out by an organization with a lot of resources.
    However, the big issue is that once another update comes in, I am not sure whether my data would stick on in the upgrade
    I've already explained that the location of the executable has no relation to the location of the data—which is the case, by the way, for pretty much any software.

And yeah, I'm done here.
  • I have downloaded the tar version, extracted it and run zotero executable. I do get to see the "Welcome to Zotero Notification" and the stand alone application.
    Seeing as the original poster answered her/his very own question, I'm rather surprised this thread stayed open so long. My thanks to everyone who offered assistance. Closing now.
This discussion has been closed.