Zotero giving component errors in Ubuntu 10.10.Already tried everything on the troubleshooting page.

First, I want to point out that I tried the stuff in the troubleshooting page. I blew away openjdk and icedtea, and made sure Firefox and Openoffice were both using Sun Java. I tried the command to turn off Apparmor for Firefox.

But still, when I go into OpenOffice, open up a document, and click on the Insert Citation icon, I get the error "Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed and try again."

Any hope of getting this working? I tried both the stable and beta versions of Zotero - no joy.
  • have you tested that your Java is actually working, too?
    Which FF and OOo version?
  • Java is confirmed working, using Sun Java 1.6.0_22. Firefox is version 3.6.12, OOo is version 3.2.1.

All are standard versions that come with Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick.
  • In case it helps, I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 with OpenOffice successfully here, with these versions and settings:

Zotero 2.1b2
    Zotero OpenOffice.org Integration 3.1a2

Link to java in /etc/alternatives is reported as:
    bennett@bennett-NB100-H:/etc/alternatives$ ls -l java
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 2010-11-15 10:40 java -> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java

Zotero OpenOffice.org -> Preferences reports:
    UNO Directory: file:///usr/lib/ure/share/java/
    soffice Directory: file:///usr/lib/openoffice/program/
  • Still no joy.

Got the same config as fbennet, exactly.

Zotero seems to work inside Firefox itself - it can pull cites off the web & such, and I can do things like make Chicago style bibliography entries I can cut-and-paste, but when I try to use the OpenOffice.org toolbar to pull cites into a document, I get that error.
  • One last thing. This would be something that only people familiar with Zotero's code can deal with...

I went into the preferences, enabled the debug output, then went into OpenOffice and clicked AddCitation. Got the error message, and these lines in the debug log...

(3)(+0000000): Integration: Instantiating @zotero.org/Zotero/integration/application?agent=OpenOffice;1 for command addCitation

(4)(+0006567): Registering observer for [collection,search,share,group,bucket] in notifier with hash Ab'

(5)(+0000002): SELECT itemTypeID AS id, typeName AS name, custom FROM itemTypesCombined WHERE display=2

(5)(+0000001): SELECT itemTypeID AS id, typeName AS name, custom FROM itemTypesCombined WHERE display=1
  • In this case, debug output isn't particularly useful, but a report ID might give us an idea of whether the failure is Java-related or something else.
  • I just send a report ID, which had a couple errors in it.
  • The error messages themselves were:

[JavaScript Error: "c.target.location is null" {file: "chrome://forecastfox/content/overlay.js" line: 1}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'java.util.zip.ZipException: error in opening zip file' when calling method: [nsIFactory::createInstance]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js :: _callIntegration :: line 239" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 239}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js :: _callIntegration :: line 239" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 239}]
  • That error is almost certainly either an apparmor or permissions issue. (See this thread.) Have you tried turning off apparmor entirely?
  • Hmmm. I'm trying to submit the error report, but when I do so, it gets stuck with a prompt saying "Please wait while the error report is submitted.

And I just tried turning off apparmor entirely, still no joy, and I used the chown and chmod commands in the thread on my .mozilla directory to make sure permissions were correct, and it's still not working.
  • this is unlikely, but just to rule out everything - have you tried disabling all other add-ons, restarting and trying again?
  • @ adamsmith: I have exactly the same problem as meldroc and also tried your last advice to disable all other Firefox add-ons (even though Ubuntu Firefox Modification 0.9 rc2 still shows up but was de-installed in package manager and disabled). The problem is as before also after new start.

Advice very highly appreciated!
  • @Dirius,

I'm able to produce something like this fault by disabling the Java plugin in Firefox. The word processor plugin needs both a properly installed java (a program in its own right installed at /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java) and the Firefox java plugin (a bridge applet that helps FF plugins speak to the external Java engine).

To see if that's your issue, from Firefox, open menus in the following sequence:
    Tools → Add-ons → Plugins
    Then see if you can find an item in the list that reads something like:
    Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_22
    The next generation Java plug-in for Mozilla browsers.
    If you don't see that entry, or if the "Enable" button is showing, then that's your problem (the button in the item should read "Disable" -- i.e. it's enabled, and offering you the option of disabling it).

In Ubuntu 10.10, the filename of the Java plugin for Firefox is libnpjp2.so (go figure). It's apparently part of the sun-java6-bin package. From the command line in a terminal, I get the following from dpkg-query:bennett@bennett-NB100-H:~$ dpkg-query -S '*libnpjp2.so*'
    sun-java6-bin: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.22/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so

If you find that the plugin is not present, installing the sun-java6-bin package may be enough to bring things right; it depends in part on whether parts of your system (Firefox, Java) have been installed from external sources, rather than through the Ubuntu package management system.

All of that is just a guess concerning the cause of your specific issue, but let us know what you find.
  • @ fbennet,

I thank you very much for your detailed post!

Unfortunately, Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_22 does show up as enabled in Firefox and when searching in the Synaptic Package Manager for sun-java6-bin it also shows as installed (I did not understand your terminal-commands, and hope this check through Synaptic is equivalent).

So, unfortunately, I am still not further. If you have any other idea I would very much appreciate it and in any case I am grateful for your detailed post.
  • Odd. What do you get at the command line from this command:ls -l /etc/alternatives/mozilla-javaplugin.so
  • Just for the record, this works fine for me with FF 3.6.13 on Maverick.

My setup, in case it helps distinguish the problem, is:

ls -l /etc/alternatives/mozilla-javaplugin.so
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 48 2011-01-15 16:06 /etc/alternatives/mozilla-javaplugin.so -> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so

ls -al /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
    total 376
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2011-01-15 17:38 .
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2010-10-07 17:09 ..
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 2011-01-07 11:19 flashplugin-alternative.so -> /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 73 2011-01-15 16:35 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.22/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 2011-01-15 16:06 libjavaplugin.so -> /etc/alternatives/mozilla-javaplugin.so
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 48 2011-01-15 17:38 libnpjp2.so -> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5360 2010-11-09 18:36 librhythmbox-itms-detection-plugin.so
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 100288 2010-09-28 01:17 libtotem-cone-plugin.so
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 104760 2010-09-28 01:17 libtotem-gmp-plugin.so
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 71604 2010-09-28 01:17 libtotem-mully-plugin.so
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 79964 2010-09-28 01:17 libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.so

My "UNO" directory for installation is: file:///usr/lib/openoffice/basis-link/ure-link/share/java/

and soffice at: file:///usr/lib/openoffice/program/

When I put Firefox's apparmor profile into complain mode, I had to *reboot* before it had any effect.

Does your setup differ in any way from that?

In spite of this working on 3.6.13, I have had no luck at all on FF4. See: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/15938
  • edited January 16, 2011
    Dear fbennet and martineve,
    Thanks a lot for your advice. Here my output.

Results from "ls -l /etc/alternatives/mozilla-javaplugin.so"
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 48 2010-12-26 14:44 /etc/alternatives/mozilla-javaplugin.so -> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so
    ==> So the same as for martineve

Results from "ls -al /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/"
    total 432

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2011-01-11 19:58 .

drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2010-12-25 10:33 ..

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 2010-12-25 16:28 flashplugin-alternative.so -> /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 2010-12-26 14:44 libjavaplugin.so -> /etc/alternatives/mozilla-javaplugin.so

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 48 2010-12-26 14:46 libnpjp2.so -> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 41 2011-01-11 19:58 libnpsoplugin.so -> ../../openoffice/program/libnpsoplugin.so

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5360 2010-11-09 19:36 librhythmbox-itms-detection-plugin.so

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 100288 2010-09-28 02:17 libtotem-cone-plugin.so

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 104760 2010-09-28 02:17 libtotem-gmp-plugin.so

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 71604 2010-09-28 02:17 libtotem-mully-plugin.so

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 79964 2010-09-28 02:17 libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.so

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 42472 2010-09-13 13:20 mozplugger.so

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 2010-12-25 16:19 xineplugin.so -> ../../xine-plugin/xineplugin.so

@martineve: How do I get "UNO" directory for installation and soffice? [sorry]

FF is 3.6.13 as well.

Again, many thanks for your help.
  • "How do I get "UNO" directory for installation and soffice? "

In FF: Tools --> Add-Ons(Extensions) -->Click the "Preferences" button next to the Zotero Ooo integration
  • Many thanks.

What is stated in the "Integration Preferences" unfortunately coincides with martineve's settings:

file:///usr/lib/openoffice/basis-link/ure-link/share/java/
    file:///usr/lib/openoffice/program/
  • Might be worth linking in:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 73 2011-01-15 16:35 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.22/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

My setting for java.java_plugin_library_name in Firefox's about:config is set to javaplugin_oji by default, which implies that it expects to find that file.
  • If you can submit one, a report ID would help track down the cause of your troubles.
  • @ Simon: Sorry for not providing a report ID earlier. Here it is: 304013390.

@ Martineve: Sorry but I did not quite understand your suggestion. If you could explain it for dummies, I would very much appreciate that.

Many thanks to both of you!
  • Hi Dirius,

Probably worth ignoring, I'm afraid, I have a setup working without the fix I suggested; sorry.

Best,

Martin
  • Thanks anyway.
  • @ Simon: Did you have any chance to look at the report yet?

Would be very much appreciated!
  • edited January 23, 2011
    [JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'java.util.zip.ZipException: error in opening zip file' when calling method: [nsIFactory::createInstance]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js :: execCommand :: line 172" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 172}]
    Looks like an apparmor issue to me. Have you tried disabling apparmor entirely?
  • Dear Simon,

I had previously tried three commands for the problem with apparmor which I had copied from the forum discussions here and on the Ubuntu forum. I yesterday tried the following more extreme propositions:

sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor kill
    sudo update-rc.d -f apparmor remove

Now it works, which I am very happy about and thank you, martineve, fbennet and adamsmith very much for your support.

In the long run, I very much hope to be able to run apparmor to some extend again, as the current solution seems quite risky. But at least I can work now.

Many thanks!
  • fbennett's advice of Dec 9, 2010 solved my problems completely. Zotero now works perfectly with Ubuntu 10.10. Thank-you!