the current bibliographic styles does not define a bibliography, please choose another style

Hello

I have just installed Zotero 2.0 and the word plugin corresponding. The "insert citation" function works perfectly but when I try to insert a bibliography, this is what pops up "the current bibliographic styles does not define a bibliography, please choose another style". I have tried to go into my preferences and to select another style (making sure I choose one that says "with bibliography") but it doesn't change anything and I cannot insert a bibliography.
Does anybody know what's wrong?
Thank you!
  • which styles are you trying?
    Can you try APA or APSA?
    And you are changing the style in the word plugin "Set Document Preferences", right?
  • Hi, i also have that kind of error! I'm trying AFP (american family physician) and NEJM (new england journal of medicine). What's the matter with this?
  • please answer my other questions above.
  • I see these types of errors as well. When I use on of the styles adamsmith mentions above (or something else like Chicago Manual) the bibliography works as expected. Furthermore, if I then switch back to the problematic style (Gene Therapy, IEEE Biomedical Engineering, AJP (all of them)), the Bibliography formats. Erasing the bibliography and then inserting it again in these problematic styles results in the same error. I am using the 2.1b and Office 2011 FWIW.
  • OK, we have this narrowed down somewhat now
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/16171/plosone-puts-in-references-but-no-reference-list/#Comment_81046
    see my last comment in that thread on how to update those styles to work with the beta version of Zotero. I assume this will be fixed eventually (or there will be a separate/new repository for Zotero beta).
  • I'm getting this error using ASA format Zotero 2.1.6, Mac OS 10.5.8, Word 2004, Firefox 3.6.16. I saw the thread about manually updating the .csl file but am a bit programming challenged/intimidated. I'm guessing the issue is that the .csl needs to be updated from .8 to 1.0 though I have no idea how to check this. Any help would be greatly appreciated since it seems the ASA style on the website is the one I have downloaded.
    In text citations work just fine but when clicking on the create bib button, I get the above bibliography error.
  • re-install the style. Try other citation styles. It's not the issue in the other thread - that has been fixed (and never affected ASA in the first place).
    Create an error report ID an post it here if none of that helps.
  • I went to the repository and clicked install. Tried adding the bib again and get the same error. Am I doing something wrong?
    Forgive my naivety...how can I create an error report ID and post it here? Thanks again.
  • Added the bib using AMA and then switched back to ASA and it worked...any idea why that is. Sorry for the premature post above.
  • In current Zotero, a style does not refresh automatically when it is installed; the new version doesn't "wake up" until you switch to another style and then back.
  • I have just edited a new style using visual CSL editor. However, with my new style I cannot add bibliography at all. When try I get the same message: "the current bibliographic styles does not define a bibliography, please choose another style" What should I do? How I can fix this problem?
  • Start a new thread please. Which style did you start with in the CSL editor?
  • I have just changed geopolitics a little bit..
  • https://www.zotero.org/styles/geopolitics?source=1 here is the source for the style
  • geopolitics doesn't define a bibliography, so if you did modify that neither would your style. If you look at the code it ends with </citation> there is no <bibliography>
  • is there any way to add bibliography into this style.. that is the one I need to use anyway..
  • not easily, no. You'd have to write the bibliography part basically from scratch, though obviously you can use elements from the citations.
    That's going to be a nightmare to do with the visual editor, so unless you're somewhat comfortable handling the xml directly I wouldn't recommend doing that, but rather work with a different style.

If you look at the journal, articles just have endnotes, no bibliography.