Hindawi Publishing Corporation open access journals

Hi,

Just to let you know that trying to capture information on any journal published by Hindawi gives an error.

They publish several open access journals, like:
EURASIP Journal on Embedded Systems
EURASIP Journal on Image and Video Processing
Journal of Artificial Evolution and Applications
etc.

Try for instance: (an article from EURASIP Journal on Embedded Systems)
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/es/2008/793919.html

or

doi:10.1155/2008/793919

Is there any solution?
  • It happens the same to me. But it works if you add it by identifier. For this, click the middle icon of the bar and introduce the doi number.
  • dito. Seems to be a Hindawi problem. For all those looking for Psyche articles (up to 2000): use the alternative page of the Cambridge Entomological Club, which works fine with zotero.
  • So this was first reported 18 months ago and looks like it STILL hasn't been fixed? Does anyone know how to report bugs like this to the developers? Apparently this forum isn't effective at doing so.
  • swevrywhere: http://www.zotero.org/support/forum_guidelines

1) Don't create redundant threads.

2) This is how you report bugs. The core Zotero developers read every post. They do not have time to fix things like this.

3) Your priorities are not necessarily the same as everyone else's. Either find someone to fix the translator or be at the mercy of the Zotero community members who volunteer their time to fix translators (even on sites they don't personally use).
  • Swevrywhere:

Please take a moment to write to Hindawi Publishing and ask that they make journal metadata available in COinS (ContextObjects in Spans) or unAPI. Implementing this for my own online bibliographic database was trivial -- only two or three hours of programming.

Information about how publishers can make journal article information available to Zotero can be found at:

http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/how_to_write_a_zotero_translator_plusplus

If Zotero users take the time to ask publishers to make their data available in a standard format, then we will all benefit. I wrote to Hindawi just a few weeks ago with the same request. I also wrote to the journal editor. I sent a polite request that 1) explained my data needs; 2) how Zotero makes it easy to add journal articles to an author's database and to cite those articles in a manuscript; and 3) how it is less likely for a citation to contain errors if the author doesn't need to enter the information by hand. I suggested that authors may be more likely to cite articles that don't require great effort to include. I pointed out that, even if the influence of easier metadata importing is small, this could improve a journal's impact factor.

Again, please write to Hindawi and to any other publisher or database provider that doesn't make it simple to bring their journal article data into Zotero.
  • Hi, thanks everyone.

Stilllman, I'm guessing that you're referring to my other post today where I listed the url and report id. I was simply trying to follow Zotero's directions for reporting a translator bug. I thought this thread was being ignored by developers because it didn't have the url and report id, since these are specifically requested on this site: http://www.zotero.org/support/troubleshooting_translator_issues. Sorry for messing everything up.
  • In the meantime, it seems appropriate to disable the translator so that we fall back to DOI.
  • DOI is Digital Object Identifier-- the little codes that start with 10.xxxx, found all over the web these days. The Hindawi articles seem to all have them, so if we simply remove the Hindawi-specific translator, Zotero will notice the DOIs in the web pages. Zotero can fetch metadata for most DOIs using the CrossRef service; I've checked, and it seems that the Hindawi articles can be retrieved this way. The main drawback of using simple DOI detection is that full-text PDFs and snapshots cannot be captured in this way, so it would be good if someone can eventually fix or rewrite the Hindawi translator.
  • Sounds good. MAYBE a developer will fix or eliminate the translator some day, but in the meantime, do you know how I could remove the Hindawi translator from my computer? Thanks!
  • No need for such concerns-- this is an open source project, and the people helping you here on this forum are in many cases the developers themselves.

I've removed the Hindawi translator from the repository-- hopefully Dan can push this change to all users soon.

In the meantime, you can just delete the translator from the translators directory of your Zotero data directory (http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data).
  • Oh great, thanks ajlyon! Here's a semi-related question: so you made a change and it's now waiting to be merged into the main branch and added to a release. How could I check to see if your change was a) merged into the main branch and then b) added to a release?

Thanks!
  • Zotero doesn't use a distributed versioning system, nor does it use highly aggressive branching, so a change like this just happens on the trunk (https://www.zotero.org/trac/changeset/7648). As one of the people who regularly troubleshoots, reviews and patches translators, I have commit access to the /translators branch of the source tree, so I could make this change immediately. Normally, changes in the trunk are bundled into the next release of Zotero (2.1b3), and translator changes are usually merged into the 2.0.x branch as well, so this should make it into Zotero 2.0.10, if such a release is made.

Additionally, some translator changes are sent to clients when they request translator updates (by default, every 24 hours). Not all changes are distributed this way, but high-impact ones usually are. This is the pushing I was talking about-- I believe that only Dan Stillman makes the call on what to actively push to clients.
  • And I'm guessing that I can't check online whether or not this one will be pushed to clients in a translator update? I'll just have to check with Dan?
  • You can follow the Trac timeline: https://www.zotero.org/trac/timeline

If Dan pushes the change, it should show up there in some way. The last step of pushing changes is not a transparent process, but we're a small community here, so you can always offer a gentle reminder here on the forums if an important change is languishing on the trunk.
  • The Hindawi website now seems to offer some decent metadata (see e.g. http://www.hindawi.com/journals/mpe/2013/416941/ ), and a translator would be much appreciated.
  • the embedded metadata doesn't have the # of pages and the article ID - do we need that and if so where should it be stored? (It is in the Refer data they provide for endnote)
  • edited January 30, 2013
    Requested @hindawi: https://twitter.com/rintzezelle/status/296712113324441601

Their own citation guidelines do include that data, and the DOI seems to be missing as well.

--

"How to Cite this Article

Fei Kang, Junjie Li, and Sheng Liu, “Combined Data with Particle Swarm Optimization for Structural Damage Detection,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2013, Article ID 416941, 10 pages, 2013. doi:10.1155/2013/416941"
  • right - I mean, we could get it from the Refer, it's just a little more work and one or two additional http requests. But I wouldn't know where to put them in Zotero in the first place. suggestions?
  • edited January 30, 2013
    We should really be able to parse ENW format. Is there some sort of legal issue with that? It looks almost like RIS but with different tag format (though I haven't explored it too much), so we could probably just .replace(...) the tags.

If it's a bit more complex, I'm working on a mapping framework that would streamline import/export translators writing. Should have it done by the end of the week.

Edit: Ooops. Was looking in the wrong place. My bad.
  • Especially in digital formats, number of pages isn't very informative, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. The DOI would of course map cleanly, and going forward we probably need better support for alternatives to page identifiers (like "Article ID 416941").
  • the article ID is in the URL, so we can get that without the .enw (which is Refer/Bibix - not sure if Aurimas's edit means he saw that), so that'll all work nicely, even without additional data.
    The DOI I wish they put into the header - that's quite standard as citation_doi - but otherwise we can just construct it as 10.1155/<volume>/articleid
  • Hi,
    I'm Dalia ElKhatib and I work in Hindawi Publishing Corporation. I'm contacting you about the issue above, and we are ready to apply any updates that can help.

We are sorry for not offering help before, but it was the first time that we hear about the issue.

Regards,
    Dalia ElKhatib
  • Dalia, thank you for being in touch!
    Really the main thing that'd be helpful would be if the DOI for articles could be included in the metadata in the page header (like you already do for most other information) in the form
    <meta name="citation_doi" content="10.1155/2013/416941"/>
    Let me know if that's possible - if not we can work around it as I describe above, but having the DOI provided by you would be more reliable.
  • Hi, we are adding it, and we have checked for other meta tags to be added. Once done, we will tell you.

Thanks,
    Dalia ElKhatib
  • Hi, we have updated our meta tags, and added the DOI, but we have also added all of the other required meta tags.
    Check and in case anything is missing update me, and we will fix it.

Regards,
    Dalia ElKhatib
  • fantastic. I'll put up a dedicated translator asap, will be hardly any work at all now. Thanks!
  • Dalia - we're almost there.
    I've notice that you only include the last author in the meta tags - is it possible to change that? Zotero will understand a number of ways of listing authors in meta tags - including multiple citation_author tags or one citation_authors tag with ; separated authors etc.

If this isn't possible we can work around it, but it'd be great if you could include this in the data.
  • Hi,
    Sorry didd't see you message before
    We have fixed that. Please check.

Regards,
    Dalia