Style Request: Journal of Vegetation science

It's not so far from Ecology, but book titles and Journal names should be in italics

Citation guidelines from:
http://www.wiley.com/bw/submit.asp?ref=1100-9233&site=1

Greig-Smith, P. 1983. Quantitative plant ecology. 3rd ed. Blackwell, Oxford, UK.

Lane, D.R., Coffin, D.P. & Lauenroth, W.K. 2000. Changes in grassland canopy structure across a precipitation gradient. Journal of Vegetation Science 11: 359-368.

Levin, S.A. 2001. Immune systems and ecosystems. Conservation Ecology 5(1): article 17. URL: http://www.consecol.org/vol5/iss1/art17 [Ecological Society of America].

Whittaker, R.H. 1969. Evolution of diversity in plant communities. In: Woodwell, G.M. & Smith, H.N. (eds.) Stability and diversity in ecological systems, pp. 178-196. Brookhaven National Laboratory, Brookhaven, NY, US.
  • could you please make sure that you have listed all the differences between Ecology and JoVS?
    http://www.zotero.org/support/requesting_styles
  • List of differences:
    Author separation with & instead of and (in text citation as well as bibliography)
    First name abbr. of subsequent Authors after family name not before
    Bokk title italic
    Journal name italic
    A blank after the colon for separating volume and pages
    "In: " instead of "in" for book chapters
    "pp." instead of "Pages"
    also Book titles in Book chapter type in italic
    Editors must be cited

Bibliography is always printed in standard OpenOffice style, can you stop this?
    Journal Abbreviation is JVS

Citations in the text: Use forms such as: Smith (2005) or (Smith 2005) or Smith et al. (2005) or (Smith 2005 a, b; Jones 2006).
    References section: Use the formats below. Journal names; always give the full name.
    Lane, D.R., Coffin, D.P. & Lauenroth, W.K. 2000. Changes in grassland canopy structure across a precipitation gradient. Journal of Vegetation Science 11: 359-368.
    Greig-Smith, P. 1983. Quantitative plant ecology. 3rd ed. Blackwell, Oxford, UK
    Whittaker, R.H. 1969. Evolution of diversity in plant communities. In: Woodwell, G.M. & Smith, H.N. (eds.) Stability and diversity in ecological systems, pp. 178-196. Brookhaven National Laboratory, Brookhaven, NY, US.
    Levin, S.A. 2001. Immune systems and ecosystems. Conservation Ecology 5(1): article 17. URL: http://www.consecol.org/vol5/iss1/art17 [Ecological Society of America].
    Noble, D.L. 1978. Seedfall and establishment of Engelmann spruce and subalpine fir. United States Department of Agriculture [report no. 575], Washington, DC, US.
    Ronco, F. jr 1979. Establishment of seedlings in clearcut openings in Colorado [Rocky Mountain Experimental Station report no. 273]. United States Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC, US.
    Wallin, G. 1973. Lövskogsvegetation i Sjuhäradsbygden. Ph.D. thesis, Uppsala University, Uppsala, SE.
    Computer programs: All information on computer programs used should be in the Methods section, e.g. "performed by DoStats (version 6.2, StatProgs Inc., Springfield, NY, US)". There should be no entry in the References section.

Thanks a lot.
  • ed. instead of edition
    Do not include DOI's when already published (with volume and pages)
  • I think I mostly got it:
    go here:
    http://gist.github.com/273967
    then download the style, using the "Raw" link on the top right.
    Install by dragging the downloaded file into an open Firefox Window.
    Please report back.
  • The name of the journal is
    Journal of Vegetation Science
    not Studies

A blank after the colon, which is separating volume and pages in journals is still missing.

Everything else seems ok at the moment.

Thanks a lot :-)
  • Not sure if there is a better way to amend the gist, but this should address the spacing issue:

http://gist.github.com/274124
  • @Frank - no, unfortunately, only the original author can amend the gist.
    @Jansen - OK, I'll wait a couple of more days if you find anything else that needs to be corrected and then commit this.
  • Interested in styles creation.
    with reference to a post by adamsmith, I need to understand the following terms used.
    For example, what do the following syntax mean

<choose>
    <if type="book chapter article-journal" match="none">
    <date variable="issued">
    <date-part prefix=", " name="month"/>
    <date-part prefix=" " name="day"/>
    </date>
    </if>
    </choose>
    </group>
    </if>
    <else>
    <text prefix=" (" term="no date" suffix=")."/>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </macro>

<macro name="edition">
    <choose>
    <if type="book chapter" match="any">
    <choose>
    <if is-numeric="edition">
    <number variable="edition" form="ordinal" prefix=", "/>
    <text term="edition" form="short" prefix=" " suffix="."/>
    </if>
    <else>
    <text variable="edition" suffix="."/>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </if>
    </choose>
    </macro>

Particularly
    <if type="book chapter article-journal" match="none">
    and
    <if type="book chapter" match="any">
    Thanks and hope to read from you.
  • please don't hijack other people's threads - open a new one, so the forum remains somewhat orderly.
    As a first step see here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/csl_syntax_summary
    if that's unclear, happy to answer in more detail in your own thread ;-)
    (the button is "start a new discussion" on the top right - just in case, people sometimes overlook it).
  • Sorry and thanks adamsmith for the reminder. I think I will open a new thread for more detailed explanation as it is still not clear.
  • Ok, in http://gist.github.com/274124 it is now
    <text variable="page" prefix=" :"/> instead of
    <text variable="page" prefix=": "/>
    In http://gist.github.com/273967 I can't see any changes.

In any case the name of the journal is still wrong. It must be:
    "Journal of Vegetation Science"
  • http://gist.github.com/273967
    is now correct - it also has the correct name, but it won't overwrite the old style, so you'll have to manually delete that one in the styles tab of the Zotero preferences (that's just for keeping things tidy, everything will still work with both styles installed).
  • I have a question about the above discussed style for the Journal of Vegetation Science when citing two articles both which are of the same author, e.g, like the two ones below:

Carrión, J. S. & Fernández, S. 2009. The survival of the 'natural potential vegetation' concept (or the power of tradition). Journal of Biogeography 36: 2202-2203.
    Carrión, J. S. 2010. The concepts of potential natural vegetation (PNV) and other abstractions (trying to pick up fish with wet hands). Journal of Biogeography 37: 2213–2215.

In the text citation this looks like:

(José S Carrión & Fernández 2009, J. S Carrión 2010, Farris et al. 2010, Loidi et al. 2010, Chiarucci et al. 2010)

I.e., it includes the first name and the initials in respectively the first and second citation. I can't find out if this is following the citation guidelines or not.
  • edited January 6, 2011
    Is this with Zotero 2.0 or Zotero 2.1?

(One of the reasons for asking is that Zotero 2.0 will disambiguate all names in references used in the document, even when they are masked by et al.)
  • Are you sure that the names are entered precisely the same for both items in your Zotero library?
  • edited January 6, 2011
    I am using version 2.09 and yes, there was a small difference in the names (one with initials with and the other without trailing point).

Thanks both fbennett and ajlyon for answering my question.

Btw, is this feature, I guess you can call it a feature, going to change in version 2.1?

And thanks to adamsmith for creating this style of course!
  • edited January 6, 2011
    In Zotero 2.1, the punctuation will be ignored. There has been discussion of adding an option to compare on initials only for disambiguation (to reduce the number of gotchas over this), but that hasn't been implemented yet; the character parts of the name strings currently still need to be identical. (But Zotero 2.1 will only compare names that are actually rendered in the document, so when problems arise, they can be trouble-shot by looking at the text of the document, without digging into individual items in the database.)
  • Thanks for the explanation. In the case above, the difference was actually that the name was spelled out in the first reference and not in the second (when writing my previous comment I was looking at a wrong reference of Carrión). So even in version 2.1 that would result in the wrong result then.. good to know and you are right, easy to trouble-shot.

Unrelated to the issue above, but about the style: In the reference list, whenever an author has more than one initials, the first initial is followed by point+space instead of point only. So you have J. S. instead of J.S.
  • This style was recently updated but now include a bug that was not present before. If something is entered in the DOI field this is used instead of the volume and page number info.

This was not the case prior to the the update. Can someone fix this?

Example:

Correct citation
    Asplund, J., Larsson, P., Vatne, S., & Gauslaa, Y. 2010. Gastropod grazing shapes the vertical distribution of epiphytic lichens in forest canopies. Journal of Ecology 98: 218–225

with the csl style:
    Asplund, J., Larsson, P., Vatne, S., & Gauslaa, Y. 2010. Gastropod grazing shapes the vertical distribution of epiphytic lichens in forest canopies. Journal of Ecology. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2745.2009.01584.x
  • Should be fixed now. It was actually looking for an issue no. and if none was there it goes to DOI. I've relaxed this, so now it checks for either issue or volume and only if neither is present it assumes the article is online pre-publication and uses the DOI.
  • Excellent, thanks. Yes, looking for volume is much better than issue because issue is seldom used in references in ecological journals and therefore I don't frequently add them to my database