Quirky sync session

I didn't sync one PC for 6 days, didn't make drastic changes on the other side, but the syncing session ended up quite quirky.

1. While syncing, it would 'hang' for hours with a spinning sync icon; the debug log would say ""

2. When the sync finally got through, I got 299 conflict resolution items. I didn't have the patience to look at the issue thoroughly, clicking my way through 299 confirmations was taking enough of my time already. I have reported similar issues before.

3. While submitting an error report, I got a message that was new to me: "Invalid response from repository". On submitting the debug log, I got "invalid response from server".

4. Then I get "Delete reconciliation unimplemented for searches" (which I can barely make sense of — but developers, please note that this comes close to what the good people at Language Log call nerdview). After I okay this, it is unclear what happens. Just now I had to go through the 299 items again. (And I still can't submit either my error log or my debug log.)

I don't know whether it's going to turn out okay (it's still spinning) but I just thought I'd post here meanwhile.
  • I didn't sync one PC for 6 days
    One certainly shouldn't run into the issues you describe, and there are still some glitches that cause full syncs (which result in both erroneous conflicts and slow syncing), but leaving auto-sync on, if possible, would be the best way to avoid these problems.
    Invalid response from repository
    We can't do anything with that without the Report ID.
    I don't know whether it's going to turn out okay (it's still spinning)
    I see nothing queued for you right now.
    developers, please note that this comes close to what the good people at Language Log call nerdview
    Do you really think "Delete reconciliation unimplemented for searches" is intended to be sensible to end users? It was a debug message from an early beta, and the condition that caused it was sufficiently rare that it was never dealt with.
  • We can't do anything with that without the Report ID.
    Ah, after clearing the debug log (70000 lines) and starting anew, I'm at least getting through with these. D1114024826 and report ID 1197115730.

What the debug log says (and has said since yesterday) is "Associated libraries are locked", with an incremental waiting time.
    Do you really think "Delete reconciliation unimplemented for searches" is intended to be sensible to end users?
    I'm happy it's rare. It's just that I (as an end user) saw it and couldn't understand it at all.

Also, it looks like I'm ending up in a loop. Yesterday I clicked through these 299 meaningless conflict resolution windows (screenshot). It looked like the sync was finally going through but after a while (and after this delete reconciliation message) I had to do it again!
  • (BTW I will have to be offline for the day now, so I'm not able to let it run five hours like yesterday.)
  • It looked like the sync was finally going through but after a while (and after this delete reconciliation message) I had to do it again!
    There's no mystery there. If the sync fails with an error, the conflict resolutions won't go through and you'll get them again.

To resolve this, you could either use one of the reset options or, easier, you could just delete from all computers any saved searches that you modified on one side and deleted on another (since that's the only way to get that error message).
  • Well I tried both but my debug log is still giving this "Associated libraries are locked" with the incremental timeout (D2092104054). What does that mean?
  • edited December 3, 2010
    It means you have a (large: >12K items) queued download from an hour ago. A full reset will take a while.
  • Well it gets more interesting. I now get "Error processing uploaded data. Error fb1ff3ae." And still it is not synced. ("Report errors" error code 9886768.)
  • edited December 4, 2010
    And again. Error df4a453e / 342646288.

/ five min later: plus an SSL error: 174987670.
  • Finally synced! After again resetting and clicking through hundreds of pointless conflict resolution dialogs, my library is now synced.
  • Hmmm.... I am sure I am getting this problem because I have 3 computers and probably a different set of folders on each one. But I didn't see anything that said I couldn't add and subtract items from different computers. I disabled auto synching because it seemed to be slowing down my laptops. But now I, like others in these threads, get (from one laptop):

Reconciliation unimplemented for attachment items

Do I really have to delete everything from one side to get synching to work again? That means I have to delete stuff I have saved (or does it appear on the other side that doesn't get this error message?)?
  • Newton: That error message hasn't existed in Zotero for two years, so it's extremely unlikely that you're getting that message.

If you're getting "Delete reconciliation unimplemented for searches", I explained above how to resolve it:
    just delete from all computers any saved searches that you modified on one side and deleted on another
  • Sorry. You are correct. It is "Delete reconciliation unimplemented for searches." Two of my computers link fine. Just not this one.

I am unsure what your resolution means. I don't think I have ever saved searches as I didn't know till now that could be done.

Next week I'd like to teach Zotero to my undergraduates in our methods class. But I would have trouble explaining this. I will restart browser, computer, etc., again, and see if that helps. I can delete everything from this computer and start again, but.....
  • There's no way to get that error message unless you had a saved search at one point. And I see a deleted one from your library on the server, which I would imagine, based on this message, that you would still see on the computer where you're seeing this error. But I've now cleared that search from the server delete log, which may fix the error.

(And as I say above, this is an extremely rare issue, so there's no need to explain it to your students.)
  • BTW: thanks for quick response at the semester beginning. Students now swear by Zotero, so I will be mailing finder fee bill. ;)