Some small things

A few small things that would greatly simplify the interface for the way that I work that I haven't seen listed elsewhere on the forum. I hope that they are useful to the ongoing improvement of this fabulous tool.

1. When I close and then re-open Zotero, it loses the place in the collection that I was previously viewing. If it could remember what was open between sessions, that would be very handy.

2. The interface is very mouse based, and yet a lot of the interaction (notes, etc...) requires text entry. This would be easier if there were keyboard shortcut equivalents for the interface.

3. When Zotero is active, Firefox keyboard shortcuts are disabled. This includes Ctrl-Alt-Z that is used to open and close Zotero.

4. It would be nice to be able to re-order the collections and the items within a collection by drag and drop. I understand the desire and simplicity that simply organizing by the column headings provides, but perhaps another column could be introduced that when selected would enable this functionality. This column could then simply store a numerical value representative of the order that the items are arranged in. Collections, instead of the default being alphabetical, could always be sorted by drag and drop, with an option to reorder them alphabetically on the drop down menu.

5. I like to structure my collected items into subfolders. Currently, drag and drop causes them to be copied into the new folder, when I would prefer that it move them there. Perhaps this could be an option in the preferences, or would function via a right-button drag and drop.

These are all just suggestions. I feel that as I learn the program, the least I can do is provide feedback that may help improve it.

Thanks again.
Wayne
  • Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere, so sorry if it replicates other requests.

One thing that would be handy for compiling reading lists would be the ability to sort by publication date.

Thanks!