exporting bibliography

I have been using Zotero for a short while, and I have built a bibliography of about 77 references. I have been exporting the library to a txt file, which I then save as a word doc so it is easier to read. I am now unable to export the bibliography --- Maybe I am overlooking something? All of the drop down options are not working for me. Any help out there?
Thank you!!
  • your description is unclear - are things not working that used to (which exactly?) or do you not know how to do something you've not done before?
  • Sorry -- I open Zotero w/ Firefox. What opens is the 3 partioned page where I add bibliography elements. When I want to create a document of the bibliography, I have (I THINK), navigated to the gear icon at the tool bar to select an export option. In the past, this has been a txt file (that is what makes me think I may have navigated elsewhere?), which I would then save as a word doc.
    Perhaps there is an easier, or more direct route?

Thank you for your help Adam. To be clear, I am not sure that anything is not working...as I am not absolutely sure this is the process I used before to export to txt.
  • edited December 14, 2010
    There has never been an option to export a text file, since a text file would not preserve italics or other formatting. There is an option to export an RTF file, which you should be able to open with Word, or to copy the bibliography to the clipboard. You can also copy the bibliography to the clipboard using Quick Copy. However, the most convenient way to add a bibliography to Word is usually to use the Word plug-in.
  • Thank you -- I don't recall how I did this before, but I will use the Word plug-in.
    Does it matter which platform?
  • no - though there are different plugins for Word for Mac and Word for Windows.

If you just want a bibliography, though, I'd recommend first selecting all your references (ctrl+a)
    -->right click ---> Create Bibliography from selected Items ---> Select your prefered style and copy to cipboard ---> Click OK ---> Go to Word and paste (ctrl+v)

Alternatively you can use drag&drop with quick copy as linked to by Simon above.
  • Thank you Adam -
    I tried your suggestion...that's it!
    thank you, thank you!