What does the '+' column refer to in middle pane?

In the middle pane, Zotero presents options for sorting by clicking the icon at the top right of the pane. This presents a drop down menu with a dozen fields. One of these is a + (plus) sign.

What does this do or refer to? It does not seem to correlate with anything with my references... I don't mean the '+' button to show attachments, I mean the '+' field for sorting.

Thanks
  • It's the number of child attachments and notes a top-level item has.
  • Thanks Dan, that's what I thought, but in quite a few of my records it shows I have attachments when I don't...

I tried purging/deleting orphaned storage files and restarting Zotero, but doesn't resolve the problem... So then tried restarting Firefox, and problem solved! So it seems that Zotero needs a complete Firefox restart to reset after deleting records or attachments...
  • We're aware of this issue.

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/7363/problem-with-deleting-notes-since-upgrade-to-20b5/

Note that there's no such thing as "restarting Zotero" while Firefox remains open. State is only cleared when you restart Firefox.
  • Thanks Dan, didn't know that, cheers
  • Returning to this question, is there any way that the attached items can be displayed as columns in the middle pane, e.g. as tick boxes? For instance, this would give a quick clear indication whether you have forgotten to add tags to a reference.

Also, are the attachments treated as fields in Zotero? and if yes, are they RIS fields which can be imported/exported? It would be useful to able to import/export notes, tags (keywords) and related items (other URLs).

cheers :)