Mark as read/Sort after "read"/Note pagenumber/Colorize Entries/CrossRef/Spell Check

Hi!

I am new to Zotero and after working a little with it, I was missing the above stated features. I wonder how you solve this:

How do keep track of where you can get the books from?

How do you keep track of which books you have read an which not?

Why can't you add a page number to a note, identifying it's position?

Wouldn't it be great to colorize items in order to prioritize them?

I now this has been discussed, but I really would like to have the crossref feature where chapters of books are really linked to a certain book (and change things when I change things in the specific book).

A small issue: I try to use the spell checker add-on within firefox, but it doesn't really work in the editor since it blocks my "right click" which would enable me to choose the right word...

Thank you!!
  • How do you keep track of which books you have read an which not?
    You should use tags ("read", etc...) and a saved search.
    http://www.zotero.org/support/tags
    http://www.zotero.org/support/finding_and_sorting#saving_searches
    I now this has been discussed, but I really would like to have the crossref feature where chapters of books are really linked to a certain book (and change things when I change things in the specific book).
    That's not possible. However you'd find the "related tab" useful: http://www.zotero.org/support/related
    A small issue: I try to use the spell checker add-on within firefox, but it doesn't really work in the editor since it blocks my "right click" which would enable me to choose the right word...
    That's a known "issue". The spell checker has been added recently to zotero (zotero 2.0.9)

Most of your requests have been discussed on the forum: I think that's a better idea to add your comments to the relevant thread.
  • Thanks for your answer!

The only answer really left is how I keep track of my books location. I feel a little uncomfortable tagging them with a library. ...
  • I would also like to see a coloured flag feature implemented. Tags are fine but not as convenient as a quick visual cue in a collection listing.
  • Yeaah I coloured flag feature could be the best!
  • edited January 15, 2011
    A gamil starring thing would be great, although the column spaces are already getting cramped, maybe colour-coding is best?

For now I use an extra column (eg. Call Number, and use a 1-5 pluses "+ or +++++" for read/important, and a _ for already read, so that i can sort per folder/topic what should be read next.

Making a new folder for priority and "to read" lists, is cumbersome and requires a lot of right click remove.
    Tagging doesn't seem right for the job, since my tags are thematic semantic information not to-do lists. Plus its good to have each item in its folder context for oversight

For books to pick up at Libraries i have a separate folder.

Zotero is great! Very adaptive, but so requires a lot of self-made workarounds.
  • @thestudentspirit: Don't post the same thing repeatedly in different threads, it wastes other people's time.
  • @fbennett forum convention/protokoll noted. Its kind of an inefficient rule though, who doesn't tell the same anecdote to different people, since one doesn't read all forum entries, it seems you have though.

was just replying to @intd, since it took me a while to figure out a manageable / other peoples system for sorting in zotero folders. And a generalized presence of such an exchange seems helpful.
  • actually most people who answer here read all or almost all threads or at least their titles.
    Also, we encourage people to search the forum to find an answer to their question. Now, if you post the same comment twice, who says the person who searches will find the one that is answered? If you think your comment is relevant in several places, write it once and post links to the other threads.