Separate format for single and multiple citations

Hi,

I've been searching the forum, but could not find any solution for my problem. I'm working on a style (for The Plant Journal, not in the repository; and the available EndNote style is not working properly through Zotero) that needs separate formats for single and multiple citations. It should look like this:

Single citations:

Apse (1999)
Aluri and Büttner (2007)
An et al. (2007)

Multiple citations:

(Apse, 1999; Aluri and Büttner, 2007; An et al., 2007)

Is there a "if"-clause to differentiate between single and multiple citations? Or is there a way to set up a citation element to format it properly? I've tried around a bit, but can't get the parenthesis around the year handled properly, nor the parenthesis around the whole citation (for multiple citations).
I'd be grateful for any help!

What I use currently (works for single citations):
<citation>
<option name="collapse" value="year-suffix"/>
<option name="et-al-min" value="3"/>
<option name="et-al-use-first" value="1"/>
<option name="et-al-subsequent-min" value="3"/>
<option name="et-al-subsequent-use-first" value="1"/>
<option name="disambiguate-add-year-suffix" value="true"/>
<option name="disambiguate-add-names" value="true"/>
<option name="disambiguate-add-givenname" value="false"/>
<sort>
<key variable="issued"/>
<key variable="author"/>
</sort>
<layout prefix="" suffix="" delimiter="; ">
<group delimiter=" ">
<text macro="author-short"/>
<date variable="issued" >
<date-part prefix="(" suffix=")" name="year"/>
</date>
<group>
<label variable="locator" suffix="." form="short"/>
<text variable="locator" prefix=" "/>
</group>
</group>
</layout>
</citation>
  • that's not possible, but it's also not the Journal's actual style, their somewhat misleading style-guid nonwithstanding.

If you look through any given article in the Journal you will find numerous single citations fully in parantheses
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-313X.2009.04027.x/pdf
    has a whole bunch on the first couple of pages.

The way to deal with the other type of citation is to write the authors in by hand and use the "suppress authors" function of the citations. This has the additional benefit that, in case you'll have to switch to a numerical style like nature, your text will still read correctly.

There are a number of threads and discussion on this, if you want to continue this debate please search the forum and find one of them.
  • Ok, thanks; you're right that the actual style differs, weird that they don't update the author guidelines... I'll set it up to follow the actual style!
  • The style of "The Plant Journal" is very similar (identical ?) to the style of "Development", which is available for Zotero.