Feature Request: Stand Alone Zotero

13»
  • I am a very fan of Zotero, but it's a couple of months that I stopped using it. Because newer versions of Firefox are really CPU and memory consuming and I prefer using Google Chrome or even IE. So, in my opinion it's vital for Zotero to release a standalone version as soon as possible.
  • you've seen this, right?
    www.zotero.org/blog/zoteros-next-big-step/
  • Thank you for pointing out the news about Zotero Everywhere. It's great!! I hope to have it very soon.
  • Hi, Just wondering if there's any kind of a timeline for a beta release or some such. I'm asking because I'd like to urn a workshop or two to get my colleagues to switch over to zotero, but a standalone product will be much easier to sell than a browser plugin -- if zotero everywhere is going to come long in just a few months I'd as soon wait. Thanks much!
    matt
  • Hello,

until the everywhere-version is finished for production I like the idea using the second firefox-profile proposed by krueschan.

But I was wondering, if it's possible to use zotero the same time also from the default-profile. At the moment I get an error with information that zotero couldn't start in one of the profiles if the other is running in zotero is installed.

The Advantage: you have one clean zotero-profile with no other extensions (e.g. noscript which still doesn't work with zotero) but can also access zotero from the default profile - to add literatur quickly while browsing.

I'll try if the pref. extensions.zotero.dbLockExclusive (in about:config) is responsible for this. But I'm afraid that database could get inconsistent when accessing from two locations?

Any hints?

cheers
  • i just tried with an backup.
    but: it doesn't work at all. In the profile I started second, I got "Database upgrade error". Each profile for itself works.
  • You can't access sqlite databases (which zotero uses) simultaneously (and it can be dangerous to try).
  • Disabling that pref is an excellent way to corrupt your database.
  • Thanks for answers. That was what I thougt. Ok - so this workaround for having a "standalone" zotero is very limited - as far as there is no connection from any other firefox-profile. So waiting for the standalone-version ;-)