Word for Windows Plugin Installation

Hi, I'm having trouble while installing the Word for Windows Plugin. I don't seem to get the Complements tab visible at the Word interface. I have Windows 7 Professional as operative system with Word 2010. I have installed Zotero 2.0.9 and the 3.0b1 Word for Windows plugin for Zotero 2.0. Many thanks.
  • I'm using the same software. When my Word plug in was automatically updated today, it just stopped working. Major inconvenience.
  • Actually a restart solved it for me. I spoke too soon!
  • edited December 7, 2010
  • hroche, can you explain the problem you're experiencing in more detail?
  • I don't take it personally if this is a bug, but I have yet to see a case where someone got the error message you describe and it wasn't user error.

What versions of Zotero and Zotero WinWord Integration do you have installed in Tools->Add-ons->Extensions?
  • I firts downloaded the beta version of z, then attempted to install the plugin, which never seemed to take, even though I did go to firefox tools and followed the instructions, the dialogue box came up, but it didn't seem to "click" either. I then downloaed the "current" version of zotero
    that's likely where the problem is. Reverting from beta to the regular version isn't trivial - and there are warnings for this at several steps - including here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/2.1_beta
    Once you answer simon's questions we'll probably be able to tell you more.
  • "I would love to know what you mean by "restart." "

I meant reboot the computer.
  • What version of Zotero WinWord Integration do you have installed in Tools->Add-ons->Extensions in Firefox?
  • when I search for programs.
  • edited December 6, 2010
    Zotero and Zotero WinWord Integration are definitely installed on your system, or else you wouldn't see that error message, although you probably have the wrong version of Zotero WinWord Integration installed. I'm not sure what you mean by "4-5 files of whatnot," and I can't help you unless you answer my question above.
    You need to download the Word plug-in for 2.1, which is on the 2.1 beta page.
    That is the download page for the beta. There is no place you can download Zotero 2.1 besides from that page. If you had posted what version of Zotero WinWord Integration you had installed, which I asked you to do at least twice, or if you hadn't been so insistent that you had the proper versions of everything installed, I would have pointed you to that page earlier.
  • hroche: People are trying to help you. Be civil or go away.
    Try re-installing Zotero WinWord Integration from the 2.1 beta page. If that doesn't work, you need to tell me the version number that appears next to Zotero WinWord Integration in the Firefox add-on manager, which you can get to by selecting "Add-ons" from the "Tools" menu within Firefox and then clicking the Extensions tab in the window that appears. If there is some particular part of this that you don't understand, please tell me and I will try to explain more clearly. If you do not do this, I cannot help you.
    the link was on the page you downloaded the beta from. On that same page there is a big, fat, heading:
    Word Processor Plugins for Zotero 2.1
    and the first sentence:
    Zotero 2.1 requires new word processor plugins for Word and OpenOffice compatibility.
    - if you're unable or unwilling to read one entire page before installing a beta version of a software, maybe you shouldn't.

And it took you three posts to even get us to the point where it was understandable what error you were getting and what Zotero version and plugin version you had installed (that latter you didn't answer until the end, Simon just guessed correctly). Had you provided that information from the start we would have been able to point you to the right point from the start.
    But for some reason you found it more important to yell at and lecture people who provide you with a free product and free support, including on a Sunday.
    From the home page, clicking on:
    Try Zotero 2.1. beta
    takes you here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/2.1_beta
    That is the only page you can install the beta version from. It's also the only link that Simon has sent you.
    On that page, right below the download button there is a bold, large heading:

Word Processor Plugins for Zotero 2.1

followed by:
    Zotero 2.1 requires new word processor plugins for Word and OpenOffice compatibility.

and the links to the new plugins. I really don't know how that could be clearer.

And since this is the beta version, no, there shouldn't be a link to the plugin from the homepage, since that would just create confusion for regular users.

As I said above - if you're unable or unwilling to read one page of documentation before installing the beta version of the software and then things don't work out of the box - because you didn't read the documentation on the same page that's really not the developers fault.

As for "I explain and explain and explain" - no, you don't. You write long posts, but you don't provide a lot of information. E.g. Simon asked twice:
    What version of Zotero WinWord Integration do you have installed in Tools->Add-ons->Extensions in Firefox?
    which you first ignored and then after SImon asked it again provided an incomplete answer to, the meaning of which he thankfully guessed correctly.
  • I'm sorry I seem to be unable to make myself understood.
This discussion has been closed.