No successful syncing possible when last sync was approx. 1 month ago

Hi,
we are a group of co-workers. Some of us are adding references and syncing daily but others are only online from time to time and so last syncing might be for instance 30 to 90 days ago.
Our database has approx. 7500 references. When syncing daily there's no problem. But when last syncing is a couple of days ago (and usually we add between 10 and 100 references per week) syncing never ends successfully. We let one of such computers turned on for the whole last weekend but on monday morning the green sync arrow was still moving....
Today I started a debug log while resetting the database of my collegue (last sync was 3 months ago) and restore it from server. Now its nearly 4 hours ago but still running without error. But I fear it will not complete successful. The Debug ID is D682029446.
Could you please check whats happen and if I should wait or restart?

Thank you in advance!
  • I have checked the debug log last entries and found that the following message returns again and again: Associated libraries are locked — waiting 120000ms before next check
    The Debug ID is D710623387.
  • We let one of such computers turned on for the whole last weekend but on monday morning the green sync arrow was still moving....
    Syncs can't take that long, so something went wrong. http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/sync_queuing
    while resetting the database of my collegue (last sync was 3 months ago) and restore it from server
    Don't do that. It just makes things worse.
    Could you please check whats happen and if I should wait or restart?
    The debug output doesn't include the user account in question, and I don't see any locks for you, so you'd have to tell us what account you're talking about.

Most likely this is just an issue with the size of the library on the server (since it's now doing a full pull). We can look into it, but we'd need more info.
  • user account is hpenz.
  • Another collegue (login: kostroun) was syncing today morning and has got the following error message: Invalid output from server (error ID: 1028797037). Same database.
  • The (>14K-item) group library is causing the download attempt to time out on the server. We'll see what we can do.
  • Ok, will wait...
    Crossing my fingers that U'll find a solution for us!
    I didn't know that 14k is somehow a limit....
    Would be good to know how we should proceed for the future as right this library will further grow.
    Thank you!
  • Hi Dan!

Sorry for bothering..... but at the moment about 10 people of our group members are not able to sync and have very old databases.
    Is it possible to estimate IF there will be a solution for our problem and - if yes - how long would you need to realize it?

You are doing a great job - thanks!
  • Hi,

could anybody of the zotero experts give me an update regarding "We'll see what we can do." what Dan Stillman said 6 days ago?

Thank you in advance!
  • I've increased one particular timeout, done some tests, and verified that a full download with the number of items in your library and all of your groups should work fine. If others still have problems after restarting Zotero and letting the sync go for a while, a workaround would be to temporarily leave any extra groups they belong to. The way syncing works now, belonging to a number of very large groups could cause the sync to fail or take a long time.
  • In the morning we tried to verify this, but after 3.5 hours syncing it was still spinning and so we decided now to restart firefox and start again.....
  • Unfortunately the syncing is still not finished (after overnight run).

Yesterday we have added a new group member, and his database is still empty. How shell we proceed? How long did it take for you (Dan) to sync a comparably large library?
  • Our database has about 8000 references now and it is still not possible to sync for new group members and also not for those who didnt sync for the last few weeks.
    To be able to continue working with zotero we have started now to copy databases of group members to other computers and let new group members work with foreign data bases. But that means that one account is active on several computers at the same time ... and we know that this is not optimal and might cause data collisions?!

So we really ask you to help us again....!