Endnote does not export Report Number to RIS and Zotero does not Import Volume number

This is frustrating. Report Number fields do not appear in exported RIS from Endnote. Volume number fields are exported to RIS files but are not picked up when Zotero imports from the files. Help!

Thanks in advance.

Peter
  • Please clarify your question a bit.

Are you saying that you have records in an EndNote database and want to export those in a format that can be imported into Zotero?

Have you looked at the actual RIS-format text file to be sure that the needed fields are filled? Do the tags for the fields meet the RIS standard?

You may need to modify the field tags so that Zotero recognizes them.

About a year ago I moved files from Reference Manager file to Zotero via RIS. I have also helped with a transfer of Endnote files to Zotero. It seems to me that Endnote doesn't export to the exact RIS specification.
  • Thanks DWL-SDCA.
    You may have a point. I have the report numbers in both the Report Number and Volume fields of Endnote. The RIS file does contain a "VL" field, eg "VL - 108920" (no quotes). I believe this fits RIS standards.

What would I need to change VL to to get Zotero to import it to its "Report Number" field?

Regards,

Peter
  • PS - nearly all of the references are confidential research reports, so the type of item is a Report. I can't find anything about Zotero's field mapping for reports, just for articles, journals and books. Could it be something to do with this?
  • While the RIS specifications do give an example of a report with a VL field, the zotero translator does not yet import it. It will need to be improved.
  • Thanks Noksagt. Yes it is very clumsy to have to manually enter report number data. I will request this feature to be added.
  • drpeterat: It's not necessary to create a new thread.
  • OK thanks Dan I'll know in future.

Kind regards
  • OK, download https://www.zotero.org/svn/extension/trunk/translators/RIS.js into the 'translators' directory of your Zotero data directory, replacing the existing version. Restart Firefox and try importing and exporting reports with report numbers.

I'll push this to clients after some testing.
  • Dan,
    Thank you for fixing this so promptly. It works a treat.
    Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Peter
  • Would it possible to change that file as well to properly tag the Book Title (in category "Book Section")? When I import a RIS file exported from Zotero 2.1 beta 2 via RIS, the book title field remains empty in Endote. I assume, it's not tagged correctly in the RIS file?