Sort order

I have put a new sort order on titles and it is working.

<sort>
<key macro="contributors"/>
<key variable="issued"/>
<key variable="title"/>
</sort>

Is there anyway I can exclude starting "a" "an" and "the" from the sort order?

Thank you in advance.
  • Is there workarounds? Like stripping the "a", "an" and "the" and reading the value in a different variable which can then be used as a sort order.
  • I don't know of any function in Zotero currently which strips the article. Might be hard, too, considering that Zotero tries to work internationally...
  • edited November 12, 2010
    I was just about to ask the same. A traditional cataloguing principle, and essential in styles (e.g. the one I am working on for the École des chartes) where the titles of many anonymous or collective publications might not have any contributors in front (Title, ed. J. Doe).

If the feature existed, surely it could be easily localised.

The title could be like this "The Title of the book" in notes, and "Title (The) of the book" in a bibliography to make sorting easier, but that just removes the difficulty to another plane doesn't it? It woulf be even more impossible, I suppose, to follow our current style, with "The title" (lowercase) vs "Title (The)"

PS Note that "The + Le/La/Les…" (definite) should be stripped, but not "A/An + Un, Une, Des..." (indefinite), which are to be taken into account for sorting. — At least in France.
  • Note that "The + Le/La/Les…" (definite) should be stripped, but not "A/An + Un, Une, Des..." (indefinite), which are to be taken into account for sorting. — At least in France.
    which goes to show why this is probably a long way out... in English (at least American English) you strip both...
    Well what about a generic "strip" option in cs:sort, for any word in any language?
    Which, if we don't use it carefully, might result in "Le Carré, John" ending up under C. But a cs:choose could somehow limit stripping to titles, I suppose.