Synchronizing zotero between two computers

Hi,

Recently found zotero and using it. A basic question: How can I synchronize zotero collection between two or more computers? I can copy zotero folder under Mozilla from one onto the other, but this overwrites the latter. I would rather have a union of the two collections.

Thanks
  • Read the FAQ please.
  • I have a similar issue, though not quite so complicated. I just want to sync between two computers and would like to make sure that I am getting all of the files each time I move them from one computer to another. I've looked at the faq, but it was not entirely clear to me precisely what I needed. Everything in the zotero folder??? If so, I am having trouble copying and pasting for synching because the .sqlite file is apparently in use when I am attempting to synch up on the second computer and I therefore cannot overwrite it. How do I disable zotero temporarily to overwrite the old, unsynched file? Or am I confused about how this works?
  • edited November 13, 2007
    As it says on the FAQ, you need to close Firefox before copying the data directory.
  • Thanks Dan. I'm not sure what part of the FAQs you are referring to. The information I found in the FAQ (before posting my question) was under the question, "Where does Zotero store my references and notes?," which did not say anything about needing to shut down Firefox.

I also did a repeated search on the string "sync" in the FAQ but didn't turn up anything about shutting down FF. Perhaps the problem is with where the information is in the FAQ and the other words that it is associated with.
  • please see my entry under utilities named "find duplicates, merge databases"
    Not the final solution but it works more or less
  • I've just moved my zotero library from USB using Firefox Portable to a permanent location on my laptop. Had no problem with the transfer, but when I try to upload library from laptop into zotero profile on USB, it simply duplicates the entire library (rather than overwrites the old one). Is this what I should do or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.
  • I loaded Zotero on my mac and was working in the normal directory. I wanted to install the USB version which I did so that I can use it at work. I copied the entire folder to the USB flash drive but when I try to open any of the attachments, the path is not found and I have to re-attach them. Any ideas?
  • If both computers have net access I would suggest to use MS Office Groove or Unison file synchronizer (Linux or windows with cygwin, also would work offline with USB stick) to sync the directories on both computers. Not sure what you would use on the mac.
  • Not sure what you would use on the mac.
    For what it is worth: unison is available on OS X too. There are other (free and proprietary) synchronization tools for any of these platforms.
  • edited July 29, 2008
    I have followed the instructions to the letter. Close the firefox, copy the database on the first computer, and then close firefox and synchronize on the second computer. I have been trying many many times but I don't see my data in the library when I open zotero on the second computer. I can't figure out why. Could anyone please give me some clue?
    Thanks a lot.
    PS: When I sync there's a new file zotero.sqlite, I tried both keeping it and replacing it with the same file from the first computer. But it does not work either way.
  • edited July 29, 2008
    It sounds like you are doing the right thing, but here are some things you can double check. Make sure you are using the right zotero.sqlite file. Make sure the file you are using is larger than the blank zotero.sqlite file that Zotero recreates if there is no file there.

Once you are sure that you have the right zotero.sqlite file make sure that it is the only zotero.sqlite file in your Zotero folder.

Beyond that check in the advanced pane of your preferences to make sure that Zotero is looking at the proper data directory.
  • I dont get it it.

I use one computer in school and one at home. I'm logged in to Zotero on both. I just want to save a research artictle in school or even cite the article in word while working at school, but be able to access it in word when I'm at home.

zotero at home doesn't recognize the citation when I open it in word.

How do I sync all this?
  • Shim: This is a very old thread that predates Zotero server syncing. Start a new thread, and be clearer about how you're getting data between the two computers.
This discussion has been closed.