Online storage of files

While being able to specify a file location on the local system, I would think that the goal might be to be able to save the files to a remote server/service so that Zotero fits in with the notion of ubiquitous computing. My habits/professional needs move me around from PC-Mac-Linux box at different locations with my Zotero files locked to a location or site. It would be great to be able to connect to my .mac or remote file service to store files so that they are available from whatever box I am on.
  • We already have this on the drawing board and will provide a remote storage solution like the one you propose.
  • Please do this sooner rather than later. I have a similar problem, and find this the single most irritating "feature" in Zotero.
  • Am I correct in thinking that the remote server would be Zotero based? That is hosted by zotero?

Would it be possible to provide a system similar to sitebar which allows people with the appropriate machine to run their own server?

I'd really like to host my own backend server for my files and references rather than be linked into a central system.
  • yeah this feature would just about complete my newfound referencing heaven. zotero has been an absolute godsend, but this feature is required to really cap it off for me. i don't know how it would affect performance, but i guess an ideal solution for me would be for it to work locally until you close firefox, at which point it syncs with a remote server, ready to be downloaded and worked on locally elsewhere.

any ideas on timescale for this feature? Dan Cohen said this was on the drawing board but i note that was back in Oct 2006. Any progress guys?

keep up the good work.
  • If you have a recent version of MS office or Groove, you can synchronize your Zotero database file over the web. Just put it in a directory you can share as a workspace in Groove, and any machines accessing the workspace will automatically synchronize (when you exit Firofox). I've been running it this way for 2 months with no hiccups.The only drawbacks are that Groove limits workspace size to 2GB (I think) and you have to have both machines running to synchronize. I leave my home machine running when I'm at the office so it is the "server" in essence. If I had access to a sharepoint server that would be ideal!
    DD