Word Citation commas and dashes for 'Nature Journal' Citation Style

Hello,

I am using a Zotero library for a word document and i want the citation style to be the "Nature Journal" style. In this case, Zotero puts numbered superscripts for each of the citations. The problem is the fact that there is no separation between the citations. For instance, if I had the 1 and 2 citation next to each other, I wouldn't be able to tell if it was the 1 and 2 citation or the number 12 citation.

Does anyone know how to fix this? In the actual Nature journal there are citations with commas for two citations and then dashes (eg. 2-7 or similar) for three or more citations in sequence.
  • Yes - this happens if you cite them singly. What you need to do is cite them all at the same time.
    When the dialog pops up to select the reference, select the Multiple Sources... button on the dialog, and this allows you to cite several sources at once. This allows the syntax you mention.
  • I would like to add that in Reference Manager, when you insert a second citation with the cursor before or just after the first one, they automatically get merged and the required separation punctuation is added. It would be nice to have similar behavior in the Zotero Word plugin.
  • Is there no way of getting the formatting to work out correctly after the references have been inserted? I don't necessarily always know absolutely every reference that i want to put into a section right when I write that section. I very regularly go back and add references later and I don't want to have to delete them and redo the citations every time so that I can choose the multiple sources option on the redo.

This software, by the way, is really really cool. I love the options and features that are available. Whoever made it did a great job and I want to use it, but I don't know if I will if I can't edit the references after they are inserted. I hope to figure out a way around this because I want to use the software.
  • I answered my own question. For those of you trying to do this, you just insert whatever references you like and if you need to add more later, you just place your cursor in the middle of the previous citation and click the edit reference button instead of the insert new reference button.

Also, does anyone see anything wrong with inserting all of my references with the Chicago Author-date system and then converting to "Nature Journal" style at the end?

Thanks.