'Hyphen'/'en dash' and "p."/"pp."

First of all: thanks for a brilliant initiative!

I am using SVN version 1994 and Openoffice.org 2.3 (w. plugin). I have, however, encountered a problem when "p." and "pp." introduces page number ranges in citations. (Page numbers are specified in the Edit citation-window.)

a. If a range is separated with 'hyphen': 123-234, the output is "pp. 123-234".
b. If a range is separated with 'en dash' (which to my knowledge is more correct): 7–19, the output is "p. 7–19".

This seems to happen in all styles using the abbreviations "p." and "pp.", so I guess it is not controlled by the styles?
  • b. If a range is separated with 'en dash' (which to my knowledge is more correct) ...
    Yes, it is (more correct).
    This seems to happen in all styles using the abbreviations "p." and "pp.", so I guess it is not controlled by the styles?
    The problem must be in the regular expression pattern Zotero uses to determine a range.
  • The problem must be in the regular expression pattern Zotero uses to determine a range.
    Actually I suspect we do no parsing whatsoever now to determine a page range and are just passing the string through. Julian created a ticket. For those interested, there's a discussion going on on the CSL list about this issue.

See also this thread, which brought up this and other parsing issues.
  • edited December 5, 2007
    Julian, have you come across any styles where page ranges would need to be customized beyond the standard en-dash format? As in, will just passing through a properly formatted string suffice in all cases? Do we need to allow for Roman numerals?

This should probably be handled like the Date field, with a parsing status indicator on the right and the parsed and reformatted string in a tooltip on hover.
  • Roman numerals are certainly used in some cases - in Chicago I've seen them. Such as references to introductory material such as pp. xiv-xxii
  • Wow! This seems to be fixed already, in SVN build 2000..!