Group invitations will not send

Hello,
I recently set up a group and have tried to send out a couple of invitations but they haven't been received. I also sent an invitation to myself, at a different email address than the one I use for my zotero login, and that invitation failed to arrive as well. Any ideas?
  • When did you send them?
    Did they appear to go through (you should get forwarded back to member settings and see the pending invitations at the bottom)?
  • I have the same problem here. There is no pending invitation at the bottom after sending invitation. I just thought I had been ignored by my friend. Thanks for the posting so that I know it is not my personal problem ;-) It is a private group.
  • I've been having similar problems. I sent the invitations AND they show up at the bottom, but my colleagues don't receive them.

The people I'm inviting are in Spain (does a foreign email cause a problem?). I'm on a Mac with the most current version of Firefox and Zotero (updated a couple days ago).
  • I am having the same problem.
  • I am having the same problem. All my recipients are in Google Apps (@ncps-k12.org) and it isn't showing up. It isn't like the mail is redirected to a junk folder or going into quarantine. It simply isn't showing up.

I also noticed that in the email domain where it DID come through that a SPAM blocker search for the word zotero did not generate results, even though the addressee says Zotero <do-not-reply@zotero.org>. How does that work?

I am trying to pilot Zotero as a viable product with 50 English students and so far, it seems to be more trouble that it's worth!
  • nchslmc: All messages to that domain were successfully delivered ("250 Thanks"). If you didn't receive them on your end, you'll have to talk to Google. This isn't a Zotero issue.
  • Well, I guess it depends what address you're talking about. I see (multiple) e-mails to three separate addresses in that domain. If you want us to check a particular one, you'd have to tell us (here or in an e-mail to support@zot....org with a link to this thread—we won't respond to the e-mail) what address you're referring to.
  • Messages to the first two addresses in your e-mail were delivered successfully, so what I said above applies. I don't see the last two (beginning with 1) in our logs. We'll look into that, but try triggering those again.
  • Well, I resent it to me mic-----.lu-----@ncps-k12.org and I also sent it to another colleague. Neither of us received it. And I don't see us in the list of group members either. But the Tom.Hon----@ncps-k12.org is. How come?

I will send both email addresses to the aforementioned email address.
    :-)ML
  • We see no record of your having resent it to yourself. The other address was successfully delivered, so there's nothing else we can tell you on that one—it no longer has anything to do with us.
  • If there is already an outstanding invitation for an email address (as shown in the group>members settings) then a second invitation should not be sent. Though you can always cancel an invitation and send a new one.
  • OK! We are getting somewhere. The emails landed in our Google Apps quarantine notification this morning. The best way to allow them through is to whitelist Zotero in our domain. All we need for that is Zotero's sending IP address. Can you do that? I will also email support@zot....org. Thanks!

I really want o use this tool but without being able to set up groups, I can't. Please help!

:-)ML
  • I set up a group library but also have had great difficulty sending out invitations. I tried sending to my wife, who has a different computer, and that was successful. When I sent invitations to a list of email addresses, only about a third of them showed up on my list of invitees. One person I heard from by email had not received the invitation. I also tried sending some individually or in smaller groups, but with the same result--many email addresses just disappeared from the list. What's happening to them? Most are standard university emails.
  • I figured out that in my email address list, the ones that showed up on the invite list were ones where only the address is given. If there is name followed by an email address in brackets, as often occurs if you copy an address from your email files, the names did not show up on the list. The question now is whether the people will actually receive them, but at least progress has been made.
  • Yes, we only parse out bare email addresses or Zotero usernames. There are 40 invitations pending for your group. If you don't see that many in the members settings please let us know that. Also there is the potential if you try to send a large number of invitations for the request to only go partway through, as it is not designed to deal with really mass mailings, but then they should not show up on your list of invited users either.
  • I've encountered the problem noted above with regard to sending to Google Apps addresses. I attempted to send invitations to three of my staff (all at science-approach.com) and my alternative address (stevenweb@science-approach.com) and none appeared on the invite list. I was able to successfully send an invitation to my personal email address at q.com. I added one staff member by using her Zotero username and will employ that technique to get the rest of my staff set up on Zotero.
  • what is going awry? I sent 3 invitations and none were received. There is no notation on my "manage groups" page to indicate that there were even sent. I've read the above comments--but found no solution.
  • I've met with the same problem.
  • I can't even figure out how to send an invitation in the first place, or how anyone is able to request an invitation (to a public, closed group)??
  • I'm having a similar problem. Have tried to invite the following e-mail address multiple times and the student never gets the invite and the e-mail doesn't show up in my list of invites sent: ren...f......edo2012@u.northwestern.edu.

Do I need to talk to northwestern's it department or google apps for education?
  • I've received invites at a u.northwestern address, so it's not a general issue.
  • Yes - many other @u addresses worked just fine.
  • Is anyone still having this problem? I have sent out invites to a group library, the person got the invite and she's just going in circles when trying to confirm or deny on the link that she gets. We've tried everything. She's even gone back in and reset her password and I've resent the invitation. Now she's trying to set up a group library and invite me. We are going to see if that works.
  • @parrot822
    This is a different problem than described. Can you start a new thread and explain "going in circles"?
  • I have invited about 20 individuals to join my private group, and one responded saying that he did not see the invite (after registering & logging in). I see his name as a pending invite on my group members page. What might the problem be?
  • @WHO_MMWG
    Where is he looking?
    He may be logged into a different account than the one you invited. If you invited by email address and he received the email he should be able to follow the link there regardless. You can also always cancel the invitation and send it again.
  • Hello
    I got an invitation to join a group and tried to follow the link... but I finnaly got a blanck page.
    Besides, I tried tu search with the name of the created group G55.c2ims... but it was not found...
    What's the matter?
    Can some body help me?
    Thanks a lotin advance
  • I got this issue too, any one knows how to solve it ? .. ;/
  • annick_simon: please start a new thread. That is a different problem. It could have been an intermittent connection problem. If it still happens every time you try, post the url it is trying to go to (without the ?token=).

lwvtutor: you should probably start a new thread too. I'm unclear what problem you're referring to.