Empty response from server

2»
  • I have found that sometimes I can get syncing to happen, and some times it will not. I am based in the UK, and it seems to depend on the time of day. I have turned off automatic sync. If I do a manual sync in the morning (when much of the US, who are probably the main users, are in bed), syncing is fine, but later in the day, I get the dreaded response, and syncing is not happening. So the conclusion is, try not to sync when the server is at its busiest. Presumably, if everyone turned off automatic sync, and disciplined themselves to do a manual sync 1X per day, this would relieve the server of a lot of pressure, and make syncing earlier for us all. A message or some sort of device on Zotero, indicating how busy the server is, and how big the queue is, would be very helpful.
  • The slowdown and failures a few hours ago were unrelated to sync traffic and lasted only a few minutes.
    Presumably, if everyone turned off automatic sync, and disciplined themselves to do a manual sync 1X per day, this would relieve the server of a lot of pressure, and make syncing earlier for us all.
    No, most people should use the default setting.

Most of the recent sync issues have been due to users' upgrading to 2.0 and syncing their libraries for the first time. Others have been due to our adding support for uploading of much larger libraries, while support for downloading those large libraries still needs to be optimized. Others have been due to people's using Reset to Server to attempt to circumvent a queued upload, which doesn't work, makes things worse for them and others, and has now been disabled on the server.

We're working constantly to improve syncing speed and reliability, and we'll be rolling out more changes over the next few days.
  • I have been having problems syncing my data with the server. I have been receiving "empty response from server" and "invalid response from server."

My database has about 2000 records. It used to sync. Then I tried adding about 15,000 more records and I started having problems. I deleted all of the added records, but continued to be unable to sync.

I have done everything that I can think of to remedy the problem. I reinstalled both Firefox and Zotero. I started with an empty database, and it synced. Then I replaced the backed up database, and it attempted to sync, but never completed it.

Thanks for your help,

Report ID: 903369465

sync.zotero.org : potentially vulnerable to CVE-2009-3555

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Empty response from server. Please try again in a few minutes.' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "An internal server error occurred. Please try again later." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 2159}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Invalid response from server. Please try again in a few minutes.' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]
  • I finally discovered the problem. I had a huge number of records in the trash. So even when I thought the data was a manageable size for syncing, it wasn't really. After emptying the trash, everything now works again.
  • error ID: 1972421242

I just upgraded to Zotero 2.0.3 with Firefox 3.6.3 and tried syncing my library for the first time. However, it won't sync and I get error messages like this:

[JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: Empty response from server. Please try again in a few minutes."]

Also, this is unrelated but the shortcut keyboard command for Zotero (shift+command+Z) doesn't work...
  • the first message is unrelated, the second one means what it says - "Please try again in a few minutes."
    Especially if your library is relatively large and you're syncing for the first time that may take a bit.
    Also, make sure to empty your trash before syncing.
    if the problem continues tomorrow, come back.
  • I've been working with zotero at work on a Windows XP machine. That's been working fine. Just loaded zotero onto my mac laptop (tiger?) and my vista laptop. On the Mac shift+command+z does nothing, so no idea if my library is synching on that one. When I maximize zotero in vista there's nothing there. I've triple checked my username and password. Not getting a red error icon. But am getting stuff like this:

api.zotero.org : potentially vulnerable to CVE-2009-3555

Why can't I get to my stuff on other computers?
  • aostriker: Start a new thread.
  • sync error ID: 1455077805
    "Empty response from the server".
    It's been 3 days already. What's the problem?
  • sevarsene: Start a new thread.
This discussion has been closed.