how can we synch selected collections- NOT entire library

Hi,

1. for a research team, we're trying to see if there is a way we can synch some collections but not the entire library. Our libraries include info from older projects which we don't need access to. How can we block some of these form synching and chewing up space on the server?

2. also, is there a way to delete some files from the zotero server to free up space for more impt info?

thanks
  • You could put the collections in a group and use file syncing only for groups (there's a checkbox for that in the Zotero preferences).

Otherwise, the answer to the questions as you pose them is currently no, although I believe No. 1 is planned.
  • Sorry, how do we put the collections in a group?
  • generally on groups here
    http://www.zotero.org/support/groups
    You actually can't drag entire collections, so you'll have to re-create the collection in the group and then drag over all the items in it from the library to the group.
  • I concur with the OP: it would be nice to easily either selectively sync some collections, or make only some collections public and others private. What Adam suggests as a work-around sounds like a lot of work.

I use Zotero a lot to make collections specific to an ongoing project, and when the project is done, I'd like to no longer have that collection on Zotero, but keep it "archived" in on my own computer in my offline Zotero.
  • this is planned, but what I suggest really isn´t a lot of work:
    set up group: 2mins
    create a bunch of collections in the group: 5mins max
    go into collections in library, select all, drag to the respective group collection: 3mins
    For a total of about 10mins work.

So while better customization of sharing etc. is clearly desirable, at least for the particular purpose as described by nsfenp groups are very much feasible.
  • Perhaps I misunderstood your instructions originally, which sounded like I would need to open each collection and copy/drag individual items into a group collection. What you are saying here doesn't sound too hard, thanks!
  • you still need to open collections, but you don´t need to drag individual items - you can use ctrl+a and drag all of the items in a collection - so unless you have gazillions of collections that's still pretty quick.
  • I will try this group business--which is frankly a little murky--but I'll add my encouragement on the issue of selective syncing. On my Macbook Pro I have a large Zotero database that I created for a book which is now finished and about to come out. On my office PC I've just installed Zotero, which I plan to use for new, shorter projects. I want to sync these so I can access them from anywhere, but I have no need to sync my huge book database. Also I'm worried that putting this thing up in the cloud will a) take forever and b) require me to rent storage from Zotero. God knows Zotero is worthy but why rent GB for something I don't need or want? Once sync'd, can material be taken out of the cloud without deleting it on my Mac?