note style changed after 2.0.9

I just updated to 2.0.9 and all my notes have been changed! The font has become smaller and all hard returns register a space after them (I had it set up so that a hard return would have zero space between lines.) I would like my notes to be as they were before the update...
  • there was a security update for the note taking software - that might have overwritten the css for notes - you should be able to adjust note font size and setting by changing the .css again.
  • Thanks. However, saving my old code as a userchrome.css file doesn't seem to be working. I am still getting a space between lines on a hard return. I want each hard return to be only one line down without any space between (e.g. difference between single and double space...)
  • Just to be a little more precise, there aren't any "hard returns": default display (CSS) rules just happens to have a bit of margin padding between the paragraphs. They're still the same paragraphs though.
  • userchrome.css hasn't been the recommended way to customize notes for a long time (and notes are no longer chrome, so that won't work).

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/4558/#Item_25
  • Right. I don't want any margin padding between paragraphs in the notes. When I hit return I want the same about of space between lines/paragraphs as is between the lines that of the single coherent paragraph. Thus, in order to create extra lines or margin padding between paragraphs I want to have to hit return twice.

How do I do this? I went into about:configure and to extensions.zotero.note.css and put in "blockquote" but that didn't work.
  • edited October 16, 2010
    You probably want to change the rules for <P>, something like:
    p {margin-bottom: 0; padding-bottom: 0}
    Unless you're changing the style for blockquote, you don't need to modify blockquote...
  • Here's a cool little rule I usually add when dealing with longer texts without margin padding (since it's hard to discern the paragraphs without it).

p+p {
    text-indent: 1.5em;
    }

It will automatically indent the first line of all paragraphs after the first.
  • For the life of me I can't figure out where or how to add these rules.
  • extensions.zotero.note.css, and then open a new Firefox window.
  • So I go into about:config and under extensions.zotero.note.css enter a value of {margin-bottom: 0; padding-bottom: 0} for the string but nothing happens. My notes still have spaces after hard returns, e.g. instead of

one
    two

I have:

one

two

With that extra space between the lines...
  • First, make sure you're entering a selector (e.g., 'p'), as ajlyon showed above. Second, paragraphs have top and bottom margins.
  • It worked! I added top margins and padding for a full value of:
    p {margin-bottom: 0; padding-bottom: 0; margin-top: 0; padding-top 0}

Thanks so much!
  • Just to summarize for the ones like me who aren't comfortable with about:config
    In the URL address bar of Firefox enter about:config
    In the search function enter extensions.zotero.note.css
    Right-click on extensions.zotero.note.css and select Modify
    Then paste the string below into the pop-up window:

p {margin-bottom: 0; padding-bottom: 0; margin-top: 0; padding-top 0}

Close Firefox and you are done!