Locating attached files in an imported RDF

My RA is sending me the results of his research as Zotero RDF exports. He chooses the "export files" option, and sends me the files as a zipped directory along with the RDF. I can't seem to get the files to attach properly. When I import the RDF and then click on "view snapshot" on one of the items Zotero says it can't find the file.

I've searched the zotero site but the last relevant discussion seems to have died out in May without resolution.

The attached files are stored in directories with numeric names.

Here's the things I've tried so far:

1. Before importing, putting the RDF file and the attached file directories in a single directory, with the attached file directories in a subdirectory called "Storage"

2. Before importing, putting the RDF file and the attached file directories in the same directory, with no "Storage" subdirectory. (Thus the directory contains toimport.rdf, and then subdirectories with names like 857, etc.)

3. Importing the RDF file and then manually moving all the directories with the attached files to my main Zotero "Storage" -- which is scary because I feared there might be naming overlaps and overwrites, but it didn't happen. It didn't work.

Any other suggestions? Manually locating the files is impractical.

Thanks,
David