Cross-document bibliography

Working with very large MS Word-Files (a document chapter each) it is not always possible to put them together for creating a combined bibliography.

Is it possible to create a bibliography across several documents?
  • no, not really.
    I understand why you don't want to work with a large file, but putting them together once to get the bibliography should work, no?
  • Actually some files have to be splitted. Otherwise they were too big for MS Word to cope with.
  • It really should be possible to create separate files, then simply copy and paste to form the completed document.

Just make sure that you are using the same Zotero client, or at least synchronized clients, to create all the files, and it should work fine.

If you have problems when combining the files, please be more specific as to what happens and when. It should work, so we just need to figure out what isn't working in your specific case.

Note: If you're trying to use a master document -- don't. It's a buggy feature in Word, and it might be the root problem if you are using one and running into bibliography issues.
  • @ajlyon: would you also not recommend using the equivalent global document feature in OOo?
  • @Gitty K: I haven't tried the feature in OOo, so I can't say how reliable it is. The Word one isn't reliable, and that doesn't have much to do with Zotero-- it just doesn't work well. If the OOo feature works for you, use it! I don't think there are any compatibility issues between it and Zotero.
  • What is the best strategy for generating joint bibliography from several Word files. Combining them in a single file is out of discussion because of their sizes (many figures, about 30MB per file).