First page only for

Science journal lists only the first page (and not the page-range) in its bibliography. I have searched and failed to find a bit of CSL that means I can specify that the page variable returns only the first page.

I have found a variable called page-first in the CSL schema but it made no difference:

## a synonym for "page" (to be deprecated)
"page-range"
| "page-first"
  • I think support for this (although it's already in CSL) has yet to come to Zotero, and will arrive along with the new CSL processor that is currently being build from scratch (and which probably is still some months away from being included in Zotero).
  • There's a slight glitch to be sorted out on CSL-side for this item. It seems that "page-range" and "page-first" appear in the schema as locator terms, not as variables. In Zotero-speak, that would mean that these terms would turn up in the pull-down list of pinpoint types in the citation menu that we call up from the word processor. This appears to be a mistake, as these terms aren't needed there -- if the user wants to pinpoint the "first" page, they can just enter a single page number, and Zotero/CSL will automatically apply the label for a single page (p.) rather than multiple pages (pp.).

The intention seems to have been to add these instead as variables for use in the bibliography, which is a different section of the schema. Once that's been confirmed and the schema amended, these can be made available in the new processor, and styles that depend on them can be upgraded. As Rinze notes, it will take some time for the new processor to work its way through integration and testing, but it is coming.
  • any updates on this?
  • edited December 9, 2009
    Not sure of the revision history, but "page" and "page-first" are certainly in the right place in the schema, and have been implemented for the use of Zotero and tested. Deployment of the new processor is expected to start sometime early next year.
  • Any updates / workarounds on this yet?
  • it's being implemented currently and will be in Zotero 2.1 - out sometime this year, but probably not very soon. No workarounds I know of.
  • It would be very helpful if the page-first option were implemented. I'm making some styles for currently unsupported journals, which require first-page only citations. A regexp string match up to and excluding a '-' or end of string character should do the trick... but I'm not that far into the Zotero code yet...
  • edited September 17, 2010
    ??? see my and Frank's post above.
    It's implemented. If you need it urgently, use the 2.1 trunk in a separate profile.

edit: I just saw that 2.1 is about to be relased in beta now
  • Has this now been implemented? It was not working in earlier versions of the 2.1 beta and I can't seem to make it work in the styles I am working with.
  • It's implemented the 2.1 processor, and should just work. How are you entering your data, and what construct are you using to call it in CSL?
  • Now in version 3.0.8 the problem seems to remain (i.e. output of <text variable="page-first"/> is still range of pages).
    Maybe there is some workaround?
  • This should work and does in general. Please post your style and a sample item (via Zotero.RDF export) to gist.github.com or pastebin.com so we can take a look.
  • Now I've noticed that this indeed works for some citations but such citations comprise a minority. Typically that does not work.
    Here is the example for which that works:
    https://gist.github.com/raw/3054545/973788837d9d6c78743553d91a2373a5135b8e14/Burlatsky.rdf
    And here is the example for which that doesn't:
    https://gist.github.com/raw/3054580/61ea5b09ecb1447b225283d8bb8f0ada127bb18d/Huang.rdf

The style was my attempt to create citation style for Journal of Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Experiment (http://iopscience.iop.org/1742-5468/)
    Though the journal is published by IOP the institute-of-physics-numeric.csl style from Zotero rfepository does not match exactly the requirements of the journal.
    I've taken institute-of-physics-numeric.csl as a base and changed it a bit:
    https://gist.github.com/raw/3054590/6518a0d0d093909779a0e5162248d0e1f3b1455a/JSTAT.csl

I would be grateful if you make things clear.
  • thanks. Apparently this only works when the pages are delimited by a hyphen in the data, not with an en-dash.
    I'd call that a bug, albeit one that should be easy to fix, we'll have to wait for fbennett for that.
  • Thank you very much!
    The things turned out so easy... )))
    Yes, it would be great that the bug be fixed since automatically retrieved page ranges often contain en dashes (as it appears) and to substitute them manually to hyphens seems not very pleasant procedure.
  • I've just fixed this, but I see Zotero 3.0.8 is out already, and this revision didn't make it in time. To get the fix with 3.0.8, there is a plugin here that you can use to upgrade the processor in a running Zotero. The plugin should disable itself at your next Zotero upgrade.
  • Great! Thanx!