sync problem: "Invalid response from server. Please try again in a few minutes"

I cannot sync my Zotero database. I get this error message: "Invalid response from server. Please try again in a few minutes."

[unrelated errors removed — D.S.]

At the end of the log I eventually find this:

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Invalid response from server. Please try again in a few minutes.' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "An internal server error occurred. Please try again later." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 2182}]

I thought this might be related to the size of my database (almost 20.000 items and around 4,35 GB in storage), however Dan Stillmann suggested this might not be the case.

Does anyone have an idea of what is wrong?

Thanks in advance.
  • PS: My report ID is 417069464
  • That's a different error from what you were getting in the other thread. Can you provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt that generates this error?
  • I have the Debug log but I cannot upload it from Zotero. Actually it's a 49 Mb file in rtf format. What should I do?
  • If you can ZIP it to under 20MB, you can e-mail it to support@zot....org with a link to this thread.
  • This doesn't appear to be complete output from a sync attempt—as far as I can tell it's cut off at the beginning and at the end. Clear debug output, and then enable it, sync, wait for the error to appear, view output, Cmd-A to Select All, and then paste the output into a TextEdit document.
  • I have followed your instructions and sent you right now a new Debug log.
    The Report ID is 1726675186.

The general error I get is now:

[JavaScript Error: "An internal server error occurred. Please try again later." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 2182}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Invalid response from server. Please try again in a few minutes.' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]
  • That debug output was cut off as well, but I believe I've addressed the issue. Your upload may still be too large to process, but the "Invalid response from server" message should be gone. Try syncing again.
  • edited September 8, 2010
    That's correct, I received a new error message, no more "Invalid response from server".

This is what I got now:

[unrelated errors removed — D.S.]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Databases of this size cannot yet be synced. Please check back soon. (Report ID: c7f17c35)' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "" data: no]"]

The Report ID is 91548865.

When do you think it will be possible to sync a Zotero database like mine?
    As I have read also in another thread, there is a risk that Zotero may be a victim of its own success: Zotero makes it very easy to create huge databases, but then it's not possible to sync them.
    This is probably a kind of issue that the development team might consider strategic.

Thanks for the help!

Paolo
  • Now that we've solved your other issue, you're just back to the database size issue, so see my latest post in the original thread.