editing citations - can only change the first citation

Hi, I used the squlite repair tool on my database and this seems to have cleared up the problem with editing a citation crashing Firefox. However, when I try to edit a citation in a test document with just two citations in it, I click on/inside the second citation, but the details for the first citation come up. If I change anything, then the first citation changes. It doesn't seem to matter whether I use referencemarks or bookmarks or what citation style I use.
A bit baffled. Thanks,
Jon.

Zotero 1.0.0rc5 openoffice extension1.0b1 on Windows XP
  • Still got this problem with the latest Zotero

Zotero 1.0.0 openoffice extension1.0b1 on Windows XP

Regards,
    Jon.
  • Confirmed. Thanks.
  • got the same problem with mac os x and neooffice. it does always change the first citation in the text.
  • edited November 11, 2007
    I'm having the same problem with Zotero 1.0.1, OpenOffice 2.3 and Firefox 2.0.0.9.

Perhaps this additional information will help somehow.

If I select the leading parenthesis in the text of a citation (even if other text is selected also, and even the first reference in the document) and then the 'edit citation' button in the Zotero toolbar, a Zotero error appears: "The cursor is not presently within a Zotero citation. To edit a citation, please click on, then try again." However, if I select anything in the citation other than the leading parenthesis no error dialog appears when clicking the 'edit citation' button and the edit dialog allows me to edit only the first citation in the document.

This error does not appear if the cursor is _in_ the citation, but no text in the citation is selected.

_don
  • I'm curious how I can communicate directly with the developers on this issue--or if it is in line for inclusion in the next release of the plugin for OOo?
  • Don: Thanks for your helpful comments. You are communicating with us directly here, and we have a ticket open on this problem.
  • Thanks for your diligence and patience with me.

I've also found that the same symptoms occur when I attempt to edit a citation--for example, to remove the author's name from a citation, the edit field will only show the first citation in the paper, regardless of where the cursor is set.

So--if I understand this sort of thing at all--there is a bug in a bit of code common to each of these functions.

I hope this helps you all zero in on the problem a bit more easily.
  • I also have this problem.... although, unlike dwiniecki above, regardless of whether I have something selected or just the cursor inside the citation, I am only able to edit the first citation. I have found this in XP/OO2.3/FF2.0.0.9 and Ubuntu1.10/OO2.3/FF2.0.0.8.
  • Just in case it helps to have more reports of observations of this problem, I definitely have it, and my system is:

Ubuntu 7.10
    Firefox 2.0.0.11
    OpenOffice 2.3.0
    Zotero 1.01 with OpenOffice plugin

Thanks so much for Zotero, it's a great tool
  • Hi,
    Same problem here. Just a slightly different perspective, in case it helps:

Using a document started using a previous Zotero+OOo plugin, I initially was able to edit citations (all of them), but the changes were not shown in text (i.e. citation was added/deleted in the citation editor, but the text was unchanged).
    After reading this thread, I attempted to edit the first citation, which I was able to do correctly (and showed up in the text accordingly)... and voilĂ ! I can no longer edit any other citation.

Thanks for a great piece of software!
  • I looked at the ticket trac and if I understand it correctly this issue is closed? It's definitely not fixed in my use of NeoOffice on OS X 10.4.11, Zotero 1.0.1, NeoOffice 2.2.2 Patch 6, and a newly downloaded zotero.oxt.

When I try to edit any citation it jumps to the first.

Any speculation on a timeline for the fix?
  • It's fixed in the dev build, which will be released shortly as 1.0.2 along with updated OpenOffice and Word plugins. Thanks for your patience.