export to RIS doesn't include call number

Apologies if this has been addressed before; I searched the forums but wasn't finding relevant results.

I'm trying to export some references from Zotero using RIS. However, the RIS file generated doesn't include all fields; in particular, it doesn't include Call Number, even though my references have call numbers listed in Zotero.

Is there a workaround to this? Is there a file with RIS export specifications that I can modify somehow so that it includes call numbers?
  • I believe the RIS specification lacks call numbers, so there is not a standard field to use. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

You could modify your personal copy of the RIS translator to put it in a non-standard field.
  • Ah, you're right about RIS. For the moment, I got around the problem by using Refer/BibIX, which does include call numbers. The downside is Refer/BibIX doesn't include notes. In the long run I may play around with the RIS translator, but that will take some time to figure out...
  • edited August 13, 2010
    It wasn't that hard after all, and didn't require as much knowledge of js as I'd feared. For anyone interested in doing this themselves, here's what I did: After doing some more digging, I found that EndNote's RIS import filter uses U4 for Call number in the "book" item type. Zotero's RIS translator doesn't appear to use U4 for anything else ,so I just inserted a line with U4:"callNumber" in the var fieldMap section.

(Now, if only figuring out how to modify the report.js to insert citations rather than the metadata table were as easy...)