Zotero - Word 2010 Plugin is not working!

Hi,

has anybody an idea: I have downloaded the zotero software and the word plugin (both newest versions). I can work with zotero (is great), but unfortunately I can not set the word add-in?

Would be great to hearing something from an expert ;-)

Thx! Mäscher
  • Please don't double-post.
  • It seems like people are having different experiences getting Zotero set up with Word 2010. For me, it just worked immediately. You could try looking at these threads.
    Zotero Forums - Word 2010 broken with latest version of the Word plugin
    Zotero Forums - Office 2010 beta with beta 2.0 not working
    If none of that is helpful, you should post additional information, like what exactly is not working. Do you see the Zotero toolbar at all in Word, do you receive any error messages, etc.?
  • I have downloaded Zotero Winword Integration 3.0.a.3 and Zotero 2.0 - So I guess to be up-to-date.

I use the German version of Word 2010.

I do not see the Zotero toolbar at all.

I cannot find a the Microsoft data folder as described in troubleshouting (additional steps in Word 2008 or later ...)

Has somebody a hint for me how to move on?
  • edited March 17, 2010
    I cannot find a the Microsoft data folder as described in troubleshouting (additional steps in Word 2008 or later ...)
    The troubleshooting page says nothing about "Word 2008 or later". Sorry, yes it does, but it says "Word for Mac 2008 or later". That doesn't apply to you.

You need to tell us exactly what you've done from the section I linked to above for us to be able to help you.
  • I tried to reinstall Winword Integration - within Firefox -> Extension, but I cannot see anything ... When I open Word now, nothing happend. I also put the security setting within Word to the lowest level ...
  • There's more to that section...
  • where ? I tried out everything ... Thx
  • In Word for Windows and Word 2004 for Mac, make sure that the Zotero toolbar is enabled in View→Toolbars. For Word for Windows, also ensure that Zotero.dot appears and is enabled in Word's Tools→Templates and Add-ins window.
  • Toolbar is enabled

Also found Zotero.dot -> It works when I manually open the template

But, how to enable it in Word's Tools -> Templates and Add-Ins
  • Does it show up in that window when you start Word? Is it checked?

You should never need to open it manually (nor adjust your security settings). If it's in your Word statup folder (the path of which is displayed in that dialog) it should be loaded automatically.
  • I have the same problems. I've tried everything suggested above, but I couldn't make it work.
    Any other suggestion?
  • But seriously guys, is there really no way to make the Zotero toolbar show up if all the above steps don't work?

I tried uninstalling and installing again everything that was possible and clicking "reinstall the components" (it doesn't show you any confirmation like e.g. "OK - reinstalled" though, is it normal?) but the Zotero toolbar just isn't there (and there's nothing about Zotero in the Add-ins section of Word settings).

That's really annoying.

Oh, I've got Windows 7, Office beta 2010 and the newest Zotero & winword plugin.
  • search for Zotero.dot on your harddisk - in which folder is it?
  • Zotero.dot is in

C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP
  • edited April 24, 2010
    All right, figured it out. Thank you for telling me about the file. I hope it'll be useful to anyone who's experiencing the no-matter-what-i-do-it-won't-show-up problem with Zotero.

I enabled the Developer Tab, selected Add-ins and provided the path to the Zotero.dot under Global Add-ins.

It works!

:::

Yeah, so it appears I counted my chickens before they were hatched.
    The toolbar is there in Word, that's good, but clicking anything results in nothing but the "Zotero experienced an error updating your document"...
  • edited April 24, 2010
    I enabled the Developer Tab, selected Add-ins and provided the path to the Zotero.dot under Global Add-ins.
    You shouldn't need to add it manually. If Zotero.dot is in the directory specified in Templates and Add-ins, it should appear automatically at startup. (Very occasionally you might need to enable it in that window, but not manually install it.)

I'm not sure if that has an effect, but I'd recommend removing it and making sure Zotero.dot is located in the correct directory.
    The toolbar is there in Word, that's good, but clicking anything results in nothing but the "Zotero experienced an error updating your document"...
    Provide a Report ID. And tell us whether it works in a new document.
  • Could you please tell me exactly how to check which directory is specified in word? I'm no longer sure of anything. Zotero doesn't work with a new document as well.

Here's the ID: 1008918180.
  • The path should be listed in the Templates and Add-ins window in Word.
  • All right, so the path is listed there under "Global templates and add-ins", but it was not there until I added it manually. Also, every time I start MS Word Zotero.dot is disabled and I have to check the box next to it again.
  • I am having a bad case of the the no-matter-what-i-do-it-won't-show-up problem with Zotero.

I have Zotero 2.03, Firefox 3.6.3. I am using Word 2010 Beta

I have manually installed the zotero.dot file in the Windows STARTUP folder

I have reinstalled, uninstalled...many times over the last week, with no luck. The main problem is that I cannot find the add-in anywhere in Word, even after reducing the security settings (enabling macros).

Is there anything else? I am beginning a large project and am hoping to rely on Zotero
  • (continued from above)

I finally managed to get Zotero recognized by Word, by manually locating the zotero.dot file in the "template" section of Word 2010. Now, it does not do anything. I receive a report "Zotero integration error" "Zotero experienced an error updating your document."

I am running a fresh version of Word 2010 Beta, and a reinstalled version of Zotero, as well as the latest word processor plugin.

Any help would be much appreciated, my report number is

• I am having the same issues as the above user Lockesilver. Was a solution found?

I am also receiving the error, "Zotero experienced an error updating your document."

Is there no help or support for these issues?
  • This is being worked on: https://www.zotero.org/trac/changeset/6102

I don't know when that development version will be made widely available.
  • edited July 23, 2010
    I have Windows XP Professional SP3 and Office 2010, both in Portuguese.

After the installation, the zotero.dot file was located in C:\Documents and Settings\Lino\Dados da aplicação\Microsoft\Word\Startup.

I solved the problem of not see the toolbar, copying the zotero.dot to C:\Documents and Settings\Lino\Dados da aplicação\Microsoft\Word\ARRANQUE ("Arranque" is the portuguese translation of "Startup".

Regards.
  • edited July 12, 2010
    I have downloaded ZOTERO 2.0.3, it works well in Firefox.
    I have downloaded zotero word plugin for Microsoft word and it works too... I have the French version of Word 2010 and Zotero for WinWord 3.0a4.
  • Zix
    edited July 21, 2010
    The toolbar also won't appear in my installation of Word 2007. I am using the current version of Zotero and latest Word 2007 plugin. I tried reinstalling the plugin but that didn't work.

Zotero.dot is in C:\Documents and Settings\MyName\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

Word will load with the toolbar if I manually click on the Zotero.dot

ADDED:
    I figured out the solution for my problem at least which turned out to be similar to what had been suggested earlier although the route was a little different.
    In Word 2007:
    Office Button-->Word Options->Add-ins-->Manage Templates
    Check box next to Zotero.dot

Not sure how this got unchecked as the toolbar had been loading previously.
  • edited July 23, 2010
    I have the same problem of andrewzar:

I manage to see the Toolbar as mention above but when I press any button of the toolbar I got the same error mention by andrewzar (in portugues because I use Portuguese versions of Word 2010 and Firefox 3.6.7).

Report ID 1128254434 and 743243519

I tried to install version 3.0a3 but it is not compatible with Firefox 3.6.7!
    I reinstall recently my notebook so I am not sure if the word plugin works with a version of Firefox prior to 3.6.7.
  • edited July 23, 2010
    It would be interesting to know which versions are using those that have the word plugin working.

I have Firefox 3.6.7, Zotero 2.0.3 and Zotero Word plugin 3.0a4.
    But it is not working. :-(
  • Hi guys

Some reason that I don't understand, the problem was solved after a reboot, installed the OpenOffice plugin, have opened the Word document with OpenOffice.

Now whenever I open with Word toolbar is working.
    I hope that definitely!
This discussion has been closed.