Multi-level citations & references

I need to be able to create bibliography entries that look like this:

Blah. blah. blah
cited in: blah. blah. blah

Quite often I need to refer to a source that has been reprinted within some other publication. For instance, an English textbook with passages from other books or articles from publications included as examples. Or, sometimes, the only quote one can find on a topic is included in some other source, such as:

lkasd lfkdj io kjgfhsd in his book lfskdj lkdfsj says, "kdjfh dfskj k8i9yu sfh akjsfh."

... and I want to use the quote in my paper.

Finally, I even have a situation where I need to use a quote that was used within a passage that was reprinted within another book. So, that is a three-level citation.

Is there any way to do that in Zotero other than simply editing the citation by hand? Is there any way to indicate that one source was found within another?

Yes, I know I can enter links in the Zotero database but those do not affect how the bibliography entry is printed.
  • short answer is no.
    My understanding of such quotation would be, though, that only the book that you actually consulted should be in the bibliography, or am I wrong about that?
  • If you don't have access to the original source, you would have to use indirect citation as a fallback. Also, if the argument in the main text is based on the selection and arrangement of quotations or references in a particular source, you would need to cite both.
  • My English teacher, who has been publishing in academic circles for a very long time, says that one should always give credit to the source where one originally found the quote. For instance, suppose I am reading an article by Andy Arbuckle and Arbuckle quotes or paraphrases something written by Blake Blarfengarr. If I want to use that quote then I should give Arbuckle credit for helping me to find that quote. I would not have found that Blarfengarr quote if it were not for Arbuckle, so Arbuckle deserves a citation, even if it is possible for me to find the entire full-text of the Blarfengarr article elsewhere.

Yes, the primary credit goes to the original author, but it is also necessary to cite where you found that quote by using the "cited in:" and listing where the quote was originally found.

My teacher explained that the purpose of citations is to give credit for ideas and help others find where you got those ideas, not just to cover your rear from plagiarism accusations.
  • that was really just a technical question/statement - and I'm still not sure about the answer, but I think what I understand is that both the Arbuckle and Blarfengarr should be in the bibliography.
    Personally, when I do that type of thing I would still used "Blarfengarr cited in:" but I'd only put Arbuckle - where I actually took the quote from - into the bibliography. In that case, Blarfengarr cited in: should just go in the prefix field.

But if you actually want full citations of both and include them in the bibliography you would have to use "multiple sources", include both, use the prefix or suffix field for "cited in:" and probably still would have to modify the citation manually to get rid of the citation separator - usually a semicolon.
  • Well, well, well. It seems my English teacher was wrong, at least for APA style. I finally found the section that explains what to do in my situation. According to the APA Publication Manaul, 5th edition, section 4.16, example 22, "Citation of a work discussed in a secondary source" (p. 247), if one has not read the original source then one should give credit for the original source of the quotation within the body of one's paper. However, both the in-text citation and bibliography entry should only cite the source where one actually found the quote. In my example, since Arbuckle cites Blarfengarr, I would mention Blarfengarr in the text of my paper but only cite Arbucle, placing "as cited in " as a prefix to my in-text citation, and then only including a regular reference to Arbuckle in my reference list. This does seem counterintuitive to me but I guess the APA's philosophy is: if someone wants to find the original source then they can look up my source and go from there. It certainly makes my job easier.

Apparently, Adam Smith and fbennet are both correct. Given that APA's stipulation is merely "...and you did not read the work cited..." it seems one has the option to cite in the manner described in this section or to look up the original source and simply ignore the source where you first found the quote. I thank you all for your patience.

So, in the words of the illustrious Emily Litella, "Nevermind."

• When I use author date styles like this, I typically do something like (Doe, 1993; quoted in Smith, 2002:23). Easy enough to do with Zotero, and it's correct.