firefox 4 beta

mozilla just released the first beta of firefox 4. afaik the api for extensions has changed. will zotero work with this version?
  • Yes. The trunk has already been updated to account for the new version of Firefox. You can follow some of the progress here.
  • I downloaded Firefox 4beta today -- 07/07/2010 -- and it disabled Zotero 2.0.3, which appears to be the current version, and which I installed only a few days ago. Do I need to redownload Zotero? Or is there some other trick I am missing?
  • I should have added that I am on a Mac running Mac OS X, so it is possible that it is updated on the Windows version but not the Mac version?
  • edited July 7, 2010
    The stable version of Zotero works with the stable version of firefox and not with the beta. For production work, you are strongly encouraged to use the stable versions of both.

There is ongoing development in the Zotero trunk to make it work with Firefox 4. This work has not been released. One reason that Firefox has betas is to allow extension developers time to upgrade their extensions. If you are testing Zotero for future rollout on Firefox 4, you are advised that not everything works yet, you should back up your data, and you will need to be ready for ongoing development that will usually improve, but may sometimes break things. Work in a separate profile.

But, again: most users should be using only stable software.

(Also note that much of the Zotero development team use Macs.)
  • edited July 7, 2010
    You can use whatever tool replaced the now defunct nightly tester tool or you can install the Zotero trunk build which works with FF 4b
    Both would at this point be recommended for testing only.

edit: I'm clearly losing my edge - noksagt beat me on all counts.
  • edited July 7, 2010
    The current version is not yet made compatible (and shouldn't be expected to — the FF version you are trying to use it on is a beta for a reason), the trunk is.

/edit: that's three replies all within one minute!
  • just viewed the vid for tabcandy - now that would be sweet with zotero finally being able to keep all my bibliography related tabs together: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/23/firefox_tab_candy/

sweet but probably only available next year!

;)
  • edited September 11, 2010
    I'm using this FF4 thread again :).
    I'd like to ask, if there's a possibility to install OO integration on FF4 anyhow. Trunk XPI won't install on FF4b6, and I'd really like to try, because it seems zotero profits a lot from the faster JS engine! I'm really looking forward to FF4 and Zotero now after trying the FF4beta!
  • edited September 11, 2010
    I haven't tested it very thoroughly, but in theory, the OOo integration trunk build (but not MacWord or WinWord integration) should work. You can install the Add-on Compatibility Reporter to try it.
  • Hey Simon, thanks for the hint. I tried, but the trunk OOo-integration won't work. It gives me an " Firefox cannot open the component neccesary for integration" or sth similar.
    I just recognized, that my 3.6 installation is affected by the extension changes as well, very wise for a beta-rollout, well. Good news is, both trunk builds do work on FF3.6.9.
    Interstingly, the OO-integration trunk xpi states 3.0a6.r6xxx as version. 3.0a8 won't work either though.
    Was worth the try, a pity it doesn't work. I'll roll back to the latest official releases.
    Thanks for your help!
  • I express my concern that there is a strong probability that Firefox 4 will not operate on Macintosh PowerPC computers... like mine! eg see: http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/08/26/firefox-4-wont-run-on-powerpc-macs-mozilla-says/1#c30425481

I hope that Zotero will continue to be supported on the last remaining version of Firefox 3 for a good 24-36 months or so, please, whilst I save pennies for a mini-mac and Firefox 4.

FYI: I posted the following remark on the blog, as above: http://www.downloadsquad.com ...

My G5 performs adequately for my purposes....
    I teach sustainable development so I attempt to practice what I teach!

Firefox is crucial to my work as a knowledge worker/professor. I use Firefox because of the Zotero add-on for scholars like me. Zotero enables me to manage the dozens of references and web sources I read daily. Unfortunately, for very technical reasons, Zotero is constrained to function only with Firefox. Zotero have indicated clearly there are no plans to port Zotero to other browsers, such as Safari or Chrome.
  • pmellalieu: Three years is a long time, but Zotero 2.1 will still work with Firefox 3.6, and the version after it probably will too.
  • @pmellalieu: Apple is notorious for making abandonware. May I recommend switching to a platform with more stability, or else purchasing an early Intel Mini on Craigslist or eBay? They go for around $200 now. Saving someone else's from the dump is sustainable, in my book.
  • zotero trunk XPI does not seem to work for me on firefox (minefield) 4.0b7pre 64-bit ... what is interesting is that all my other extensions (from the 32-bit installation) work fine...
    It shows a little yellow triangle above the "zotero" thing. I uninstalled it, installed it again, tried all sorts of stuff, but to no avail. is this something other people have experienced as well?
  • having problems here also with 4.0b6 (i think 32bit) and zotero trunk, firefox says it's not compatible, is there a way to force it installing?
  • ok, you need to install add-on compatibility reporter first!
    now installs ok, will test and update comments!
  • I know, this has been discussed and I am aware that Zotero will certainly support Firefox 4 when it's released the beginning of next year. After playing with beta 7, though, I have the feeling that it's pretty stable and I also read that FF now encouraged plugin developers to come out with compatible versions because of the feature freeze.
    So any time line for Zotero support of FF 4 would be great? I just would like to start using FF 4 betas but the only thing which keeps me from doing it is Zotero...
  • the current Zotero betas (2.1b) are FF 4 compatible.
  • interesting... just tried that out. It wasn't a problem to install 2.1b but I can't open it. When I click on Tools->Zotero nothing happens even though zotero shows up under extensions... Any idea?
  • seems like it's this issue:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/15143/21beta-2-not-working-in-firefox-4-beta-7/#Item_5

See if you experience the same behavior if you try to open the Zotero preferences (from the FF add-ons dialogue)
  • I understand that the word for mac plugin does not work with ff4b7 - is there any eta when this might be the case.

thx
  • We can't build PythonExt, which is necessary for the Word plug-in, for 4.0b7 because the Gecko SDK hasn't been updated for around a month and a half. We will have a working Word for Mac plug-in whenever Mozilla releases an SDK or I figure out how to fix the build myself.
  • voted for the bug in bugzilla, encouraging other zotero users to do so too. just create an account in bugzilla and click vote at the bug number.
  • voted for the bug in bugzilla, encouraging other zotero users to do so too. just create an account in bugzilla and click vote at the bug number.
    Voting is fine, but please do not post Zotero-related comments on Bugzilla tickets. Zotero developers will report problems there as necessary.
  • the info page on beta 2.1. does not indicate incompatibility with office on osx anymore. so does the zotero beta work with ff4 beta 9 and office on the mac now?
  • Yes, with the version of PythonExt available on that page.
  • not working for me: osx 10.6.6, firefox 4.0b9, pythonExt and macword integration as posted on the page. getting 'could not install wordintegration 3.1.b2, please check if word is running'.

tried to re-install everything, still no avail...
  • You probably have an outdated copy of py-appscript somewhere on your system. You can find this copy and delete it, or you can run Firefox in 32-bit mode. We're working on a fix.
  • edited January 23, 2011
    thx! tried the updated pythonext, getting same error message. office 2008, latest updates, german locale. probably the 'microsoft user data' folder the culprit?
  • Updating pythonext won't help, nor will the playing with the Microsoft User Data folder. If you generate a report ID, I can tell you where the outdated copy of py-appscript is. Otherwise, you can run Firefox in 32-bit mode or wait until we release a fix.