Creating a pdf with metadata and retrieve them with Zotero

Sorry, but I read the article "Retrieve PDF Metadata" in the documentation and several posts in the forum on the subject, but I can't make sense of this. How can I create a pdf with metadata and let retrieve the bibliographic data with zotero? The following way doen't work: I export some items with right-click to create a bibliography and save it as rtf-file. Than I generate from this with pdf-creator a pdf-file and add this to zotero. The file is indexed from Zotero and Zotero finds the items in the file when I search for titles or author-names of the items in the file. But when I make a right-click on the file and select "Retrieve Metadata for PDF" I get the message "PDF enthält keinen OCR-Text (PDF contains no OCR-text)". I which way do I have to prepare a pdf-file, so that zotero can extract the bbliographic data?

Thanks for any help

Juergen

PS: I have installed Zotero 2.0.3 with pdftotext 3.02 and pdfinfo 3.02, Firefox 3.6.6 and work with WinXP Professional.
  • Retrieve PDF Metadata is for getting the metadata for a full text PDF of an article, not for extracting a list of references from a PDF.

If you want to import and export metadata from Zotero use Zotero's export functions. Zotero RDF is generally the best way to import and export data from one Zotero library to another.
  • Thanks for the quick response. Just another perhaps stupid question: How can I generate a "full text PDF" with metadata?
  • You don't. You'd need to, e.g., have it published to a place that assigns DOIs and/or is indexed by google scholar. The retrieve PDF metadata function relies on the full text of PDFs & a web connection to these databases to search for metadata of published journal articles.
  • and if you want people to be able to get all the references from a text/bibliography, you're better off using html with COinS or so
    http://www.zotero.org/support/make_your_site_zotero_ready
    Pdf doesn't have that type of capability.
  • Thank you very much. Now I'm wiser.