how to add footnotes?

I'm new to Zotero. How do I add a footnote in Word? I would like to use the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition.

Whenever I try to do it, it only inserts the last name of the author.

Let's say I wanted to add a footnote like this. How would I do it?

Robert L. Thomas, How to Choose a Bible Version: An Introductory Guide to English Translations (Ross-shire, Great Britain: Mentor/Christian Focus, 2000) 103.

Here's what I already tried:

I have my Word document open. I added a footnote, placed the cursor in the empty footnote, then I selected the icon "Zotero Bibliographic Management: Zotero Insert Citation," then I selected the book I want and added the page number.

The only problem with this is I do NOT want to add an in-text citation, but I want to add a regular footnote (see above for the type of format). Every time it only adds the last name and page number.

Thanks a lot!!
David
  • 1. Don't insert the footnote in Word - Zotero will do that for you.
    2. As a style - select "Chicago Full Note with Bibliography" - you can do that in the "Document Preferences" (or "Document Settings") in the Zotero Menu in Word.
  • Adam, is there any way I can correspond just w/ you. I have some further questions about this.

I really appreciate your helpl!!
  • no - this is on a forum for reasons:
    - I might or might not have time to come back and answer, in which time someone else can take over
    - I might not know an answer that someone else does
    - someone else may later have the same questions you have now and find them here
    etc.
    If you need private one-on-one support, find an e-librarian of your trust at your institution.
  • Thanks a lot for the explanation about forums.

(1) I found the doc preferences and I changed it to Chicago Manual of Style (Full Note with Bibliography).

(2) What do you mean by Zotero adding the footnote for me?
  • Place the cursor in the text of the document and click on the "Insert citation" icon. If you have the Chicago Fullnote style set, Zotero will add the footnote for you, and place the citation in it, as adamsmith says.
  • I understand now. thanks so much!!
  • Almost ten years later, and this just solved my problem! :)
  • I am using Chicago Author-Date style. I want to add a footnote with the full note style, but when I change my settings to Chicago Full Note style, it changes ALL my in text author-date citations to footnote. How can I add a full note citation to a footnote without this happening?
    Thank you!
  • You can't, and the Chicago Manual specifically says not to mix the two. If you want to add a footnote while using autor date style, keep the author date citation style in the footnote, as in "In an earlier work, Smith (1776) had outlined his theory that..".
  • Thanks! I didn't realize that contextual notes should use author-date.
This discussion has been closed.