Upgrade Problems with Zotero 1.0

Our latest RC releases have exposed some problems in Firefox's underlying storage mechanism, which Zotero uses to store its data. In a very small number of cases, upgrading Zotero may return an error message similar to the following:

Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8052000b (NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED) [mozIStorageConnection.executeSimpleSQL]" nsresult: "0x8052000b (NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: anonymous :: line 96" data: no] [QUERY: INSERT INTO fulltextItemWords SELECT * FROM fulltextItems] [ERROR: database disk image is malformed]

An automated repair tool is available to correct these errors. Please see the following message.

We have made modifications to our own code to work around this problem going forward, and preliminary testing with early versions of Mozilla's next major release (Firefox 3.0) indicates that it should not recur in the future.
  • edited December 4, 2008
    We've created a small web service to rebuild databases that have become damaged or that cannot be upgraded by Zotero due to the Firefox storage bugs discussed above.

http://www.zotero.org/utils/dbfix/
  • Is there any way I could get a version/beta for Gran Paradiso (FF 3.x)?
    Thx in advance
  • I get the following errors with 1.0.0 when I try and run it.
    With the csledit.xul I get
    Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIXMLHttpRequest.send]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/cite.js :: init :: line 1212" data: no]

When I try a right click to show entry as a bibliography I see
    Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIXMLHttpRequest.send]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/cite_compat.js :: anonymous :: line 161" data: no]

It might just be something I messed around with but I haven't altered anything after the 1.0.0 release.

Any ideas?
  • Codec: Could you be more specific about your operating environment and what you may have "messed around with"? We haven't encountered any similar problems on any platform.
  • I had tried updating the cite.js yesterday when I was on rc5 to correct the date formats, but I can see no evidence that is still around after updating to 1.0.0 (the .jar file is the new one), so I think that is cleared.

I've also added new citation styles which were working ok on rc5.
    Thats the limit of my tinkering.
  • Not sure if this is an upgrade problem or not but it was fine with RC5 - I'm getting the "an error occured communicating with Zotero" error again.
    I'm running windows xp, zotero 1.0 openoffice extension 1.0b1
    Sent an error report.

[JavaScript Error: "redeclaration of const kSaveAsType_Complete" {file: "chrome://global/content/contentAreaUtils.js" line: 118}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIXMLHttpRequest.send]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/cite_compat.js :: anonymous :: line 161" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/cite_compat.js" line: 161}]

[JavaScript Error: "event has no properties" {file: "chrome://tabprefs/content/script/misc.js" line: 99}]

[JavaScript Error: "redeclaration of const kSaveAsType_Complete" {file: "chrome://global/content/contentAreaUtils.js" line: 118}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIXMLHttpRequest.send]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/cite_compat.js :: anonymous :: line 161" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/cite_compat.js" line: 161}]
  • It seems to be related to locale - if I change locale to en-US it all works again.
  • It does appear that way. I had a separate problem
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/1554

that was fixed by changing the locale and now the communication problem is fixed too.
  • After a bit of experimentation, it seems if you don't have a chrome/locale in the line 1212 in cite.js (or the equivalent in cite-compat.js) will kill the CSL interpreter dead.
    I was running with en-GB which falls over on this.

Wrapping a try/catch around the res.send(null) works, as does changing you're locale to one that it has files for.
  • Well, it's not chrome/locale—it's the locales-*.xml file in chrome/content/zotero/locale/csl/—but yes, that's the fix. We'll be rolling out a new build shortly.
  • Zotero 1.0.1 is out with a fix for this problem.
  • Just a suggestion....
    Due to the database size limit on your dbfix tool, may want to consider mentioning what to do in that case...Perhaps a link on the dbfix web page to
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/2607/ ?

I could not use the dbfix tool as my database was too big, but by following instructions at that other page, I seemed to have fixed the size problem.
This discussion has been closed.