APA 6th new style

• Looks exactly right - thanks very much Adam!
  • no thank you for the careful reports - they help make zotero better.
  • Here's another hiccup. Many journals list both a volume and issue number. For APA 6,the issue number is only listed in cases where each issue begins with "page 1". If the pages are continuous throughout issues within a volume (as often is the case), the issue number is to be left out. Here is an example with the issue number:

Klin, A., Volkmar, F. R., & Sparrow, S. S. (1992). Autistic social dysfunction: Some limitations of the theory of mind hypothesis. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 33(5), 861–876.

and without:

Klin, A., Volkmar, F. R., & Sparrow, S. S. (1992). Autistic social dysfunction: Some limitations of the theory of mind hypothesis. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 33, 861–876.

Note that "33(5)" is now just "33". Why APA decided to do this, I have no idea. Technically, it is superfluous information; but (obviously) it now requires a more detailed knowledge of any journal to be cited.

I can't think of any way to get Zotero to ignore the "Issue" field in certain cases. Thoughts?
  • this is unfortunately very common in styles and there is absolutely no viable solution I can think of - and it has come up quite a bit.
    We (as in the people writing most of the styles) have so far decided to leave the issue number in there for all relatively generic styles, because it's better to have additional information than to have relevant info missing.
    For some of the more specialized styles, where people in the field tell us that all relevant journals are continuously paginated we take out the issue number.
  • edited June 1, 2010
    When I attempt to generate a bibliography from a website with no date and no author it seems to place an extra period after the date (maybe from where the author should have been?

Example of problem:

Activist groups launch new Facebook privacy offensive | The Social - CNET News. (n.d.). . Retrieved May 2, 2010, from http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-20003928-36.html?tag=mncol;txt

The place to look is right after (n.d.)

It reads (n.d.)..

instead of (n.d.).

vs website with author and date:

O'Reilly, T. (2005, September 30). O'Reilly -- What Is Web 2.0. Retrieved July 3, 2008, from http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/tim/news/2005/09/30/what-is-web-20.html

vs website with author and no date:

name, F. (n.d.). Facebook open-sources real-time FriendFeed facet | Webware - CNET. Retrieved September 21, 2009, from http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10349836-2.html
  • I'll have a look - it seems like this is less information than APA would want you to put for a website, but it shouldn't happen anyways.
  • edited June 4, 2010
    It is significantly less information than APA ideally wants. But web sites being what they are - unless you are citing NYtimes or Wikipedia, it is often impossible to get all of the information that would be ideal.
  • could you help me test this?
    Go here:
    http://gist.github.com/425615
    download by right-clicking on the "Raw" link on the top right and "save as.."
    Install by dragging the downloaded file apa.csl to any open Firefox Window and OK when prompted.

What would be important is to not just test the cases that were wrong in the old style - those are almost definitely corrected - but make sure that I didn't mess up any of the stuff that used to be correct in the process - I've only changed spaces and periods, so that's all you have to look for.
  • would like an apa 6th style which puts a direct link into reference list
    i.e.
    instead of as now:
    doi: xnumbersn
    new:
    http://dx.doi.org/xnumbers

have modified my HATED endnote to do this, but not sure how to implement in my prefered zotero. help appreciated

diana
  • dekdek:
    Find the part where it says
    <text variable="DOI" prefix="doi:"/>
    and replace it with
    <text variable="DOI" prefix="http://dx.doi.org/"/>

here for general instructions
    http://www.zotero.org/support/csl_simple_edits
  • also, pfernandutk - any luck testing?
  • thanks to adamsmith
    will get a stiff whisky and give it a go

is it ok to do the copy in word if you are sure to save as a text file with a .csl extention?
    i'm on a mac & find it convenient to use word, even for text files
  • I don't know for sure - but I would really use TextEdit - I'm not sure about any extra signs and spaces that Word might insert in the file.
  • Apologies for the delayed response (and many many many thanks for looking into this!!).

The downloaded fix, seemed to fix the problem. I also ran a couple of fairly large bibliographies with random items, and did not find anything noticeably wrong. I'm not an APA expert, but to my eye, it looks like what you did fixed it.

So thanks!
  • edited July 2, 2010
    Hi! I have a strange problem related to the sorting order in the reference list for works of the same author (the same happens in in-text citations) using zotero with APA 6th, see example below.
    This is the reference list generated by zotero 2.0.3 in OpenOffice 3.2.1 (Win7 x64) containing journal articles and books by the same author. As you can see the list does not start with the earliest work. I'm not sure if this is the same problem reported by others. Is there a way to sort this out? Many thanks!

---

Chesbrough, H. W. (2007a). Open business models: How to thrive in the new innovation landscape. Boston: Harvard Business Press.

Chesbrough, H. W. (2007b). Why Companies Should Have Open Business Models. MIT Sloan management review, 48(2), 22–28.

Chesbrough, H. W. (2003a). The Era of Open Innovation. MIT Sloan management review, 44(3), 35.

Chesbrough, H. W. (2003b). Open innovation : The new imperative for creating and profiting from technology. Boston: Harvard Business School Press.

Chesbrough, H. W., & Rosenbloom, R. S. (2002). The Role of the Business Model in Capturing Value from Innovation: Evidence from Xerox Corporation’s Technology Spin-Off Companies. Industrial and Corporate Change, 11(3), 529–555.
  • the style itself codes this correctly, so the problem is something more complex than that.

What do you get when you select the same citations in Zotero and look at the test pane (using APA 6th)
    chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul
  • Thank you for your quick reply. These are the results:

Single Citations

(Chesbrough, 2007a)
    (Chesbrough, 2007b)
    (Chesbrough, 2003a)
    (Chesbrough, 2003b)
    (Enkel, Gassmann, & Chesbrough, 2009)

Multi Citations

(Chesbrough, 2007a, 2007b, 2003a, 2003b; Enkel, Gassmann, & Chesbrough, 2009)

Bibliography

Chesbrough, H. W. (2007a). Why Companies Should Have Open Business Models. MIT Sloan management review, 48(2), 22–28.  

Chesbrough, H. W. (2007b). Open business models: How to thrive in the new innovation landscape. Boston: Harvard Business Press.  

Chesbrough, H. W. (2003a). Open innovation : the new imperative for creating and profiting from technology. Boston: Harvard Business School Press.  

Chesbrough, H. W. (2003b). The Era of Open Innovation. MIT Sloan management review, 44(3), 35.  

Enkel, E., Gassmann, O., & Chesbrough, H. W. (2009). Open R&D and Open Innovation: Exploring the Phenomenon. R&D Management, 39(4), 311-316.  

• pfff - follow this link to make sure that you have the most recent version of the style:
    http://www.zotero.org/styles/apa/dev?install=1
    but after that I'm at a bit of a loss. Zotero's main energy in that area right now is going into the implementation of csl 1.0 including a brand new processor, which should take care of this type of problems, but the actual release of that in Zotero 2.1 is still a bit out.
  • edited July 2, 2010
    Thank but this did not help unfortunately.
    However, I've found a turnaround!

I've noticed that both wrong placed references (2007a, 2007b) came through google scholar.
    So I've just manually created 2 new items in zotero by copy-pasting the content from the misbehaving references and now the issue is solved. Everything is sorted the right way.
    Are there some metadata that influence the sorting?

Could you pls. give me a link where i can get the old official apa 6th instead to replace the dev. stype if i have to revert back?

Many thanks! :)
  • the "dev" style is safe, the changes to the old one are marginal, but if you have to revert you can do that by going to the style repository and installing the style at the top of the page.

Also, could you check the google scholar entries - could it be that the first names were spelled differently? E.g. the 2003 entries had full first names and google scholar only initials? In that case Zotero would treat them as two separate authors and since H. precedes Hillary in the alphabet put those first.
  • edited July 2, 2010
    ok thank you for the dev style. so, this should be newer than the official dated march 2010?

I've consistently changed the first name into the initials in all the entries above, so I guess this was not the problem. Now I've deleted the 2 wrong entries to make sure not to mess up my references again ;)
  • edited July 2, 2010
    yeah the dev style is from May.
    For what it's worth I'd recommend keeping full first names in Zotero - many styles (including the super common Chicago Manual) require full first names.
  • OK, thank you for the hint!
  • Hi adamsmith, thanks so much for the style. I am not sure about APA6 but in APA5 issue numbers were rarely used. So it would just be the volume number (in italic), a comma, and the page numbers. Only if each issue of a journal would start with page number 1 (which almost never happens) you would use the issue number . Is there a way to change this or make issue numbers optional?
  • rcustsers - scroll up to the exchange between Matthew and me on April 4th on this topic.
    It's possible to adjust the style - but for the reasons given above I find that unsatisfactory - but it's _not_ possible to have an option to toggle issue numbers.
  • Hello, I would like to know if a CSL update for APA 6 is in the making that includes a field for the original publication date of an item? This issue was brought up earlier in this thread, but I do not see a follow-up.

Thanks
  • I'm not going to change the style until Zotero 2.1 which will, I believe, have capability for original date of publication - is out of beta. Then it will be a small and quick fix, though.
  • Hi adamsmith,

thanks for the improved APA. I wondered if you could tell me how to cite a manuscript that is unpublished. I put "in preparation" without quotes in the Date field, but when the citation in Word 2008 (Mac OS with Zotero 2.0.8) shows only the authors' names in brackets without ", in preparation".

And in the references it shows the authors' names, then (, in preparation).

I think the correct way should be (authors, in preparation) in the citation and authors (in preparation) in the references.

Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch!
  • that just doesn't work well yet - dealing with "forthcoming" etc. properly is non-trivial and right now I don't think that's possible in Zotero et all.
    The best workaround I can think of is to use an improbabl date - 2076 or so - and then find and replace at the end. Improving this is on the radar, though.
  • Hi Adam,

I'm wondering if it might be possible to modify the style such that page numbers in the reference list are separated by an en dash, regardless of whether an en dash or hyphen is used in the actual citation data?

The examples in the APA 6th reference manual definitely use an en dash, though the manual doesn't explicitly give direction on this. I'm finding that most (but not all) downloaded citations have a hyphen rather than an en dash between page numbers.