First Sync.. No items from library showed up??

New to Mozilla. Set up Zotero (and MWord plugin)about 2 wks ago on home computer. Put some things in library. (most were manually entered, as they were reserach articles and pdfs from the internet).

Today, came to school, set up Zotero on school computer, signed in, tried to sync, thinking that things from home computer would show up in library.. nope! Nothing's in my "My Library" box but the default Zotero Quick Start Guide.. did I miss something?
  • Today, came to school, set up Zotero on school computer, signed in, tried to sync
    Just to start with the basics, have you put your details into the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences on both machines (not the same as signing into the website)? Secondly, do your items appear in the "my library" section of the website (i.e. are your items sucessfully making it from the first machine to the server)? Finally, when you try to sync to you get a red circle with an exclamation mark next to the sync icon. If you do, click on it and post what it says here. You should also submit an error report according to the instructions which appear when you click on the error icon and post the report id here.
  • Answers to your questions

QUESTION:Have you put your details into the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences on both machines (not the same as signing into the website)?
    ANSWER: No I hadn't done that at the time of my question. So I put my info in the Sync pane and when I cliked the arrow sync button, a seprate pane called"Conflict Resolution" popped up. It asked me to Choose one of two versions either a "local object or a remote object". I choose the remote object. Honestly there was no logic in my choice. Then I clicked "Finish Sync" (the "object" was actually the Zotero Quick Guide." Was that right?

QUESTION:Secondly, do your items appear in the "my library" section of the website (i.e. are your items sucessfully making it from the first machine to the server)?
    ANSWER: I think so....
    On both computers, the items I add locally (added when using that specific computer) show up on the Zotero pane at the bottom of the screen. Is there a seperate process for sucessfully adding things to the server. (i.e. is just adding it/seeing it on the ZOtero pane not enough?)

QUESTION:Finally, when you try to sync to you get a red circle with an exclamation mark next to the sync icon. If you do, click on it and post what it says here. You should also submit an error report according to the instructions which appear when you click on the error icon and post the report id here.
    ANSWER:That doesn't happen.
  • So I put my info in the Sync pane and when I cliked the arrow sync button, a seprate pane called"Conflict Resolution" popped up. It asked me to Choose one of two versions either a "local object or a remote object". I choose the remote object. Honestly there was no logic in my choice. Then I clicked "Finish Sync" (the "object" was actually the Zotero Quick Guide." Was that right?
    That should be fine - does syncing work as expected now?
  • YES!!! I just realized. On my home computer I set up a folder called "Preliminary Paper" and I've only been looking in that folder (its my active folder). On my computer at school, I have no such folder, so everything was filtering into the general "My Library" folder.

BUT... two other questions:

1) If I move the sync'ed items from my school computer that went into the general "My Library" folder on my house computer to my "Preliminary Paper" folder (which as of now is ONLY on my home computer), will it disappear on my school computer "My Library" folder (considering that there is no "Preliminary Paper" folder on my school computer)?

2)If I set up a folder with the exact same name ("Preliminary Paper") on my school computer, and put stuff in it there, will it sync into the same name folder on my home computer? or will it always default to be sent into the "My Library" folder.

Thanks! You have been very helpful!! :)