translation of "and" in author list

In the Italian translation, multiple authors are separated by "e", which is the correct translation of "and", but are not always the desired outcome when (as it happens most often) bibliographies are to be published in English.
Is there an option to select which language to use for citations, perhaps independently from the interface language?
  • I have the same problem. Zotero cites in the language of the firefox user interface. Under linux you can select the firefox language by changing the LANG environment variable. To get an English firefox try " LANG=C ; firefox " without the quotes. This results a fallback to the default languange which should be English. Perhaps somebody else knows what to do under Windows.
    Regards
    Michael
  • Same "problem" here. Using German Firefox the zotero cites use "Abgerufen", "von", "und" but the date format ist still in English Month day Year instead of German day. month year.
    The possibility to select the bibliography language and dateformat (per word document) would be useful.
    Setting environment variables isn't a real option, because I need different bibliography languages in different documents.
  • Is there an option to select which language to use for citations, perhaps independently from the interface language?
    Not yet, but it's been a ticket for a while. It'll happen for 1.5.

In the meantime, I think you can change general.useragent.locale in about:config and restart Firefox, and Zotero will then use the locale you've specified (e.g. en-US). It'll also change the Zotero interface and all other extensions to English, however...
  • Changing locale in Firefox does not solve this problem in Ubuntu.

It only works on Windows computers...
  • OK, good to know, thanks.

The locale will be configurable via an about:config setting (extensions.zotero.export.bibliographyLocale) in 1.0 Final. This should already work in the latest dev build.
  • I have the same problem as 'zotero-user' and very much support his arguments.
  • @Dan Stillman

Responding to the question...
    "Is there an option to select which language to use for citations, perhaps independently from the interface language?"

You wrote...
    "Not yet, but it's been a ticket for a while. It'll happen for 1.5."

Is this available in 1.5? Maybe I am missing it, but if so where do you specify the language to use for citations and bibliography?

Thanks!
  • Is this available in 1.5?
    The 1.5 Sync Preview available now is mostly just that—a preview of server sync features. Other features targeted for 1.5 may be added in future builds.

You can set the bibliography locale by typing about:config into the Firefox address bar, looking for extensions.zotero.export.bibliographyLocale, and entering an appropriate locale code. For example, to use English, set it to en-US. See the chrome manifest for other available codes.
  • I'm really looking forward to this feature, as I am currently developing a commonly used citation style for German Humanities, which is a quite local and "German" thing ... so it would make very much sense to have that option for local styles as normal users very often do not have any imagination what the localization settings of their browsers are ...

By the way: the localization problem happens to come up at different levels:
    setting
    "extensions.zotero.export.bibliographyLocale" to "de" doesn't suffice (on a Fedora Linux "Sulphur" machine)
    alone does not solve the problem, because the Zotero GUI and everything is correctly switched, but the export filter still produces "and" instead of "und". To get the correct export results, also switch
    "general.useragent.locale" to "de" ...

(maybe that was the issue on Ubuntu, too?)

Keep up the good work, folks!
  • thorsten: Actually, it's the reverse. bibliographyLocale controls the bibliography, and general.useragent.locale controls the user interface. But you need to set bibliographyLocale to 'de-DE', not 'de' (that is, the value in the fourth column of chrome.manifest, not the third column)—if it's set to an invalid setting like 'de', it will fall back to the interface locale.

Note, though, that if you're really creating a German-specific style that would serve no purpose in another language, all of this is irrelevant, and you could just hard-code the German strings. It may still be better to localize it in case it does turn out to be useful in another language or someone uses the code as a template for another style, but it's not strictly necessary.