zotero experienced a problem updating your document

I recently received a message that my storage was out of space and could not entered any more citations. I bought more space and now when I try to entered citations in the text that was written after I got that message I get this error"

zotero experienced a problem updating your document
the property is not available on that object

the id report # 178411055

I don't understand because any part of the text that I work on before that day I can add citations...
thanks
debora
  • When I look at the error reporting tool this is what appears:

[JavaScript Error: "[zoteroWinWordIntegration Exception... "That property is not available on that object." code: "0" function: "zoteroWinWordDocument::CursorInField" location: ".\zoteroWinWordDocument.cpp"]"]

help... this is my dissertation...
  • i used the information you gave me. duplicated the file, and was able to insert a citation only after deleting the bibliography.

Now when I try to create a new bibliography, I get the same error message
    [JavaScript Error: "[zoteroWinWordIntegration Exception... "That property is not available on that object." code: "0" function: "zoteroWinWordDocument::CursorInField" location: ".\zoteroWinWordDocument.cpp"]"]

report id# 1968488321
  • edited April 21, 2010
    almost certainly you still have one citation corrupting the document - further follow the debugging instructions.
  • Thanks ... I think I found what the problem was... I apologize for the multiple posts. It is the first time posting and I wasn't sure if I needed to create a new one for different reports.

So I tried deleting parts of the document and creating a bibliography in differents places of the document and it allowed me to. So I realized that between the end of the document and the references, at some point I had inserted tables that force to create a section break before and after. So I erased that section and it resolved the problem. I suppose at some point the link between the text and the bibliography got corrupted. So I created a new bibliography and reinserted the tables afterwards.

thank you.
  • Hi,
    Zotero has suddenly stopped working. It doesn't let me add new citation.
    I am always getting this message:
    'Zotero experienced an error updating your document'.

Report ID: 591856013

I use Zotero 2.0.2, Mozilla 3.6.3 and Open Office 3.2
    Any advice?
  • Farotz: Read this thread. If you still have trouble, start a new one.
  • Hi - same as Farotz (same versions of zotero, mozilla, openoffice), zotero suddenly gives me error message and i haven't done anything since the last time when it worked. I will go through the thread properly now, but thought i'd post before i lose my error reporting id: 76521590

First time poster, so bear with me, will write again if i can't resolve...
    thanks.
  • Ok, gone through most of the debugging as per recommendations - nothing changes. I can't even put references into new documents, the same error message ("Zotero experienced an error updating your document") keeps coming up, can't even change preferences, any of the plugin buttons clicked - error message comes up. Haven't got tables or anything complicated in my doc, just text. Nothing helps. Haven't done anything to my library either. :-(
  • update: uninstalled all, reinstalled, seems to work again, except it unchained the former references, so i have to do it all again. BAH!
  • sgrussendorf: It shouldn't unlink your references unless you actually exported and reimported your data, which you absolutely shouldn't do (and which shouldn't have any effect on this error).
  • edited April 24, 2010
    you are absolutely right, i should have edited the post but i was too frazzled from working on thesis - i had opened .doc file instead of .odt so it looked like i had lost all references!! All ok after uninstall and reinstall though no idea why the problem occurred in the first place. oh well. Thanks for responding!
  • Hello everybody,
    I had cited 3 articles from the same author written in the same year.
    Their rightly appeared as:
    (Author, 2010a), then (Author, 2010a) and the third (Author 2010b).
    Now I have to erase one of them, but instead than just updating the series Zotero writes both the remaining citations as (Author, 2010), the first normal and the second in italics. I have refreshed the document, re-synchronised Zotero and also restarted everything, but the problem is still there.
    I want also report that Zotero randomly writes some citations in italics, without any specific reason.

Report ID: 900969804
    I use Zotero 2.0.2, Mozilla 3.6.3 and Open Office 3.2

Any advice?
  • edited May 28, 2010
    Their rightly appeared as:
    (Author, 2010a), then (Author, 2010a) and the third (Author 2010b).
    that wouldn't be right - it should be 2010a, 2010b, and 2010c

It looks like Zotero doesn't recognize two of them as the same - if I recall correctly that can happen if one of the is an edited volume, where the author is in fact the editor.

The italics have nothing to do with Zotero, which may just pick up the style from the section it gets pasted into.

Also, update your copy of Zotero.