Bibliography out of order in RC1-RC5

Since upgrading my bibliography is now not in alphabetical order.

Handing in my thesis on friday, not looking forward to having to trawl through that list.

Using FFox 2.0.0.8 on Win XP
Word 2007

Liking the extra features - starting to look really slick now!
  • Another problem. For References where the author has two initials, the initials are printed in the in-text citation in the APA style. This shouldn't happen.
  • edited October 23, 2007
    I've also reported this ->here<-, but to date no response. I am working in APA format. I hope for your sake and mine that they are working at pace on this as my paper is due on Thursday! Not looking forward to reordering the reference list :-(

Another thing I've noticed is that the reference list entries have blank lines between them, but this is easy to solve manually.

I've also noticed the problem of initials in citations, but this was where the authors had multiple references and one or more had a different entry in the initials field, e.g. P. G., Paul, Paul G., etc. I think this behaviour is ok, though I'd like a nicer solution one day (maybe zotero could massage the initials when building the reference, or ask if it is the same author)

A more serious problem I've noticed is that the authors are not ordered alphabetically in the citations either. They are listed in the order I selected them. I can solve this by selecting them in alphabetical order, but this needs to be addressed.

Tony
    ubuntu 7.04, ooo 2.2.0, firefox 2.0.0.8, zotero 1.0.0rc5, ooo plugins 1.0b1
  • edited October 23, 2007
    It seems the updated styles weren't properly downloaded to some people's clients. Please go to the Zotero prefs and click the "Update Now" button next to "Automatically check for updated translators" (which should actually read "...updated translators and styles"). That should fix the sorting problem and some other issues people were having.
  • The update has fixed the ordering of the reference list. Thank you so much, Dan. My last u/g assignment is now submitted!

The reference list entries are still separated by a blank line. Is this removable?
  • Hmmm.

I've done this, but my references are still not in alphabetical order. Any other tips?

Many thanks
  • Nick: Try Rebuild Translators Table in the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs.
  • No, I'm afraid that doesn't work either.
  • Does it work properly in a new document?
  • Hi

Yes, that works. Can I somehow reformat the document it doesn't work in?

Thanks
  • Is the order corrected if you use the refresh button in the plugin toolbar?
  • Hi -

Not sure if this is a similar problem, but...

I can't seem to keep the citations in order of appearance in the text -- in either Nature Journal or NLM style.

When an earlier reference (say #5) is cited again later in the body of the text, it gets re-numbered to the next available slot (say #20) in the reference list. The strange thing is, this is not consistent -- some get re-numbered but others don't. I've tried re-entering all citations, updating translators, entering in a new Word document.. without any success.

I am using zotero 1.0.1 and MS Word 2004 on Mac OS X (10.4.10).

Thanks so much.
  • jcc: is the same reference appearing multiple times in your bibliography? Are you sure you don't have two copies of the same reference in your Zotero library?
  • simon -

i just double-checked my library, and there are no duplicates in my library.

i should clarify: The same reference doesn't appear multiple times in my bibliography, and there is no mismatching of citation number in the body of text I'm writing and the reference number in the list of references (at the end of the document).

The issue is this: Initially, I see that citations are numbered in the order that they appear in the text (e.g. "3,4" on page 1), and the references are numbered correctly in the reference list. As I move along, after citing 20 distinct references, I cite references 4 again in the text, let's say on page 10. Instead of appearing as "4", this reference is suddenly re-numbered as "20". On page 1, the "3,4" is also changed to "3,20". All references that used to be numbered 5 and higher have been re-numbered to one lower. The citation numbers (in the text) still indicate correct references, but the the numbers are no longer in the order that they appear in the text.

whew... Sorry about the length, simon. i wasn't sure how else to describe the problem. It's a very small glitch, but since the journal editor requires that the citations are in order of appearance, i had to turn to you guys...

again, thanks so much for an amazing product!
  • I have the same problem.
    No re-instalation seems to work
  • edited December 7, 2007
    I've seen the same too on word 2007. Anyone seen it on OO?
    Edit: Ok - reproduced it in word and OO 2.3. I've raised a ticket #857.

A workaround that sometimes works is to change the style to another one, and then change back. Sometimes this reorders them correctly, sometimes not.