Bibliographic reference info for Zotero itself

I used Zotero as a bibliographic management tool for a project and I want to reference it as the computer software program I used. I am essentially finished with the manuscript but I want the best information to properly cite the program. I know the obvious information (program name, version, etc.). There are fields in the Computer Program type record that I am not sure how to fill-in. Please provide me (and the Zotero community) with the information needed to completely cite Zotero.
  • how to cite Zotero (or any other software) depends on your citation style - which information do you need/want to include?
  • I would like to know what the Zotero developers think are the most appropriate things to include in the Zotero computer program fields. I have filled in the following:

Title: Zotero
    Version: 2.0.3
    Date: 2010
    Place: Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Company: Center for History and New Media at George Mason University

That will do fine for Vancouver style but other fields may be needed if I use another style. I have no idea what information to add to complete other appropriate fields.

Thank you.
  • I'd think that the opinion of the programmers is about as relevant for citation purposes as the opinion of the author of a book - i.e. not at all -
    but maybe someone from Zotero disagrees and will put forward an "official" citation -
    you know this page, right?
    http://www.zotero.org/about/
  • I agree about the programmers names. However, I am uncertain about which names to include. All four listed under "Development"? Should the "Directors" be included? Any others? Many programs include recommended citation information in their documentation manual (often with more information than is appropriate for some citation styles). I would be really pleased to see an "official" recommended citation from the Zotero team. "Cite Zotero as ..."

Thanks
  • I'm not one of the developers, but speaking as an ordinary joe, citing with author "Center for History and New Media, George Mason University" seems about right.
  • the URL (i.e. www.zotero.org) should be included, though.