www.nature.com redirects to ezproxy... url

Edit: I just tried downgrading to Zotero 2.0.2 and got the same behavior.
======

Hi,

I wonder if anyone else has encountered this.

I try to go to www.nature.com by entering the url in the address bar.

If Zotero is enabled, it instead goes to http://ezproxy.lib.ucalgary.ca/login?url=http://www.nature.com/.

If I disable Zotero, it goes to nature.com.

If I re-enable Zotero, it goes to the ezproxy again.

I've recently updated to Zotero 2.0.3.

Although I access Nature sometimes at the U library (which does route via that proxy) this is happening when I'm tapped in to the www at a local coffee shop.

Any ideas?

Setup:

Zotero 2.0.3
Firefox 3.6.3
Win XP Pro SP3
on Parallels 5.0.9310
on OS X 10.6.3

Addons:
Adblock plus 1.2
Adobe DLM 1.6.2.63
Flashgot 1.2.1.22
Google gears 0.5.36.0 (disabled)
Java console 6.0.20
Java console 6.0.17 (disabled)
Lazarus 2.0.5beta
Realplayer plugin 1.0
Scrapbook 1.3.7
Zotero 2.0.3
  • Thank you for both posts on this topic. I have had this frustrating experience for the past week, and been unable to successfully troubleshoot this. (Firefox, Mac, Zotero 2.0.3)

Whenever I went to Pubmed, Journal of Bacteriology, or any major journal site I was rerouted to my old university's EZProxy site (University of Wisconsin). This was very frustrating, and even with some assistance from UW Libraries we were unable to track down the problem. I understand that I can delete only the offending proxy. However, I don't want Zotero storing this information without my explicit consent (or interfering with my browsing in such a disruptive and frustrating way), so I have stopped using Zotero for now.

Debug ID: D872356896
  • Tris: No need to create new threads for the same issue. Reposting your follow-up here:
    debug ID: D735665509

A single "Configured Proxy"
    host name: multi-site
    scheme: http://%h.ezproxy.lib.ucalgary.ca/%p

double-clicking on the "Configured Proxy" brings up a list of many journal sites under "Hostname" including www.nature.com.
    Multi-site box is checked
    Automatically assciate new hosts is checked.
    Scheme is the same as above.
  • Marker: If you don't want to use Zotero's proxy functionality, uncheck "Automatically remember proxied resources" in the Proxies pane of the Zotero prefs and remove the existing entries. If you want to debug something, start a new thread.
  • I was sending my debug id as an "fyi" to associate it with info I submitted through the program, in case this issue is followed up on a global scale instead of simply pursuing Tris's specific item. I added my comment here to note that Tris's experience was not unique. The thesis of my post was that I had a weeklong headache due to unwanted behavior of this feature, without any notification that Zotero was the cause. I'll wait until the feature is better developed. I might suggest that having the Zotero logo on the browser flash (or something comparable) would be a nice hint that Zotero is influencing a user's browser experience.
  • Sorry about the extra thread.

So, is this really a bug or just expected behaviour that some of us are not clueing in to?

Any way of adding additional smarts so Zotero has an idea of when to use the proxy if is is stored? The actual behaviour I saw was that the library login wab page was displayed as a result of the redirection to the proxy. If I had a valid ID presumably I could log-in and then carry on to the journal website; alas, I don't.

For now, I've simply unchecked the proxy option.
  • The first time you access a site through a proxy, you see a dialog like the one on this page explaining that Zotero will automatically redirect requests through the proxy, and giving you the opportunity to disable this functionality. The dialog is designed such that the "OK" button isn't accessible for several seconds after the dialog opens, so it's supposed to be difficult to click through it without reading it.

It might be nice to put a message above a page when it gets redirected through a proxy, similar to the way Firefox handles popups and passwords, but the dialog does spell out what will happen fairly explicitly.