Recurrent loss of attached files

Hi,

I've been using Zotero for nearly a year with no problems until a couple of weeks ago, when attached pdf files started disappearing. Files that have been in my library for months suddenly give me the message 'The attached file could not be found' when I try to open them. For the most part, these files are at least still available in my online storage, but in some cases (mostly in a 'shared library' that at the moment only I use), files seem to have disappeared from online storage as well. I just experienced the same problem again, and this time tried a 'Restore from Zotero Server' reset. Some of my attachments are *still* 'not found', even though they are present in 'My Library' when I log in at zotero.org

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. This is really gutting, because until now I've found Zotero an utterly invaluable tool, but mysterious loss of attachments is such a serious and worrying problem that unless I can get to the bottom of it, I don't feel I can rely on Zotero any more, which is devastating considering how much I've come to rely on it.

Thanks,
Nick
  • Generally speaking, files don't just disappear. Have you used Dropbox or another non-Zotero syncing tool?
  • I do use Dropbox on all the computers that I use Zotero on, so it would be running in the background, but they should be completely separate: ie. nothing Zotero-related is in my Dropbox folder, so there shouldn't be any overlap between what Dropbox and Zotero are syncing.

If it's any help, I just went through everything I've stored in Zotero, and I have currently got seven missing attachments, all PDFs and all in a shared library (though, as I said before, I'm currently the only person using this shared library, so the problem couldn't have been introduced by another user). Another slightly puzzling thing is that some PDFs that were missing last week (from a non-shared folder in My Library) have reappeared (though I think this could have been due to the 'Restore from Zotero Server')
  • Hi,

Did you get any resolution? I am having the exact same issue. I also have Dropbox running, but with a completely separate directory. I have to have Dropbox because my research collaborators use it, so uninstalling it is not an option.
    I am really frustrated because adding pdf attachments is such a pain anyway, and now my pdfs are all hosed.
  • Well, not exactly - I haven't heard back from Zotero (I'd almost forgotten I posted this!) It now does seem unlikely to be anything to do with Dropbox, because since last time I've shared the library with a collaborator who does not use Dropbox, and she has had exactly the same experience, with Zotero failing to find attached pdfs.

However, I did find that doing a "Reset File Sync History" (under Preferences > Sync > Reset) seems to have recovered the attachments on one of my PCs. I haven't had time to try this on another computer (or verify that every single attachment has been recovered) yet, so I don't know whether this solution is a cure-all (and since I'm not even quite sure what "Reset File Sync History" does or what risks might be involved in using it, I'm not sure I could wholeheartedly recommend it!), but it does seem to have worked for me, in that previously missing attachments are back.