Presentation type

The presentation type is a little misleadingly narrow, assuming the venue must always be a meeting. But I'm not quite sure that works for something like this speech delivered at the Council of Foreign Relations (or other kinds of public speeches, class lectures, etc.)?
  • edited October 24, 2007
    Is it fair to say that the type indexes live events that may or may not have an interactive element (but not enough interaction to be an interview?) Maybe you want something that encompasses a variety of events like these:

• Concert

• Busker's performance

• Church service/Mass

• Town hall meeting

• Political rally

• Press conference

• Military briefing

• Sporting event

If you don't know Roman Jacobson's model of communicative events it might be worth checking out as you refine this type.

May I put in a vote for a field along the lines of "venue" for this type?
  • edited October 24, 2007
    Bruce--
    Well, you don't need any more fields to enter or cite speeches, sermons, etc. in this item type. Perhaps "Venue" would be more inclusive field name than "Meeting Name." But in theory, you should be able to enter "remarks" in Type, "Council on Foreign Relations" in Meeting Name/Venue, and "Washington, DC" in Place. This should give you this citation:

Gen. Michale Hayden, remarks at the Council on Foreign Relations, Washington, DC, September 7, 2007, https://www.cia.gov/news-information/speeches-testimony/general-haydens-remarks-at-the-council-on-foreign-relations.html

This is what's supposed to happen, but this item type seems to be cited incorrectly in CSLs.

Bradley--It would be difficult to construct a citation for an item type that encompasses all of these, but in theory we could add "Performance" to "Presentation" in the future. This is a question for the hierarchical item types system, which will only be possible after Firefox 3 comes out.
  • Thanks Elena. Yes, I know. But it's not exactly ideal, and is another example that shows the warts of the current model. I'm just trying to document these for future reference.

I'd probably agree with MTBradley's notion that there should be a "venue" (or "presented at") relation, and that event be understood as a first-class object.