[Ubuntu] Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor.

Hey there. I just recently switched from Vista to Ubuntu 9.10 and now Zotero isn't functioning. I'm getting the following error:

"Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed and try again."

As far as I know, I have everything. What can I do?

Some info:
Ubuntu 9.10
Firefox 3.5.8
OpenOffice 3.1.1
Java 1.16.0_15 According to http://javatester.org/version.html
Zotero 2.0.2
Zotero OpenOffice Integration 3.0a7

Am I missing something?
  • I have/had the same problem on MacOS and Ubuntu 8.04:

a) On the Mac I could solve the problem by updating Firefox to 3.6 and OO to 3.2 - two things you haven't done yet.

b) However, I tried the same on the Ubuntu machine and still receive the communication error message. My only work-around at the moment is to use Firefox 3.0 in parallel, which works with Zotero 2.0.2 and OO 3.2 without problems. But I hope someone knows a more elegant solution on this problem ...
  • I am having the same problem, only sometimes if I restart both Firefox and Open Office a number of times I can get it to work for one session, but every time I restart my computer I have the same problem. Today I cannot get it to work at all.

Here are some details

Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix
    Firefox 3.5.8
    OpenOffice 3.1.1
    Java 1.6.0_0 According to http://javatester.org/version.html
    Zotero 2.0.2
  • Just the same problem here

It tells me: "Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed and try again."
    Although, it works well in MS Word 2003

info:
    Windows XP Prof
    Openoffice 3.0
    Java 1.6.0_10
    Zotero 2.02
    Zotero Openoffice integration 3.0a7

Is there any solution?
  • I have the same problem.
    any solutions?
  • edited March 23, 2010
    Solution for "Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed and try again."

1 Go to firefox

2 click Edit->Preferences

3 select Content

4 mark 口Enable Java

5 Restart Firefox and Openoffice

Done!

It works for me. I hope it helps!

My system is Ubuntu 9.10 with firefox 3.5, zotero 2.02 and zotero openoffice integration 3.0a7.

http://tanklao.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!B0021D07BAAF8ACF!424.entry
  • Hello,
    thanks for advice. I have my Java enabled, still no working
  • I am having this problem, and the fix described by tanklao does not work for me.
  • I was having this (or a similar) problem on Ubuntu 10.04. I realised that I had both the sun-java and the icedtea plugins installed. I solved the problem by removing the two packages icedtea6-6-jre-cacao and icedtea6-plugin. I hope this helps.
  • I am also running Ubuntu 10.04. I do not have have icedtea installed. Still unable to get Zotero to install the OO components. OpenOffice is closed, but I receive the message, "Zotero OpenOffice Integration could not complete installation because an error occurred. Please ensure that OpenOffice is closed, and then restart Firefox." I'm clueless.
  • Hi

Be sure you have activated the java runtime in openoffice
    tools->options->opnoffice.org->java
    in the right side panel check "use java runtime environment"
    a list of installed runtime envs will appear
    check the sun's one then Ok

restart your OO

and firefox
    and try again
  • Running:
    Kubuntu 9.10
    Firefox 3.5.7
    OpenOffice 3.1.1
    Java 1.16.0_15 According to http://javatester.org/version.html
    Zotero 2.0.2

I managed to get it to work consistently by:

1. in package manager install all packages starting: <sun-java6....>
    2. in firefox, going to javatester and verifying that java works
    3. Firefox offers to install plugin - I couldn't install java there, so I installed icedtea at that point.
    4. update to java 1.16.0_20 as per instructions at http://www.java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp?locale=en&host=www.java.com
    5. In Firefox go to Edit → Preferences → Content tab → mark Enable Java
    6. in package manager install package: <openoffice.org> with no descriptor
    7. once all is done, redo: Close OpenOffice and then, in Firefox, go to Tools→Add-ons→Extensions→Zotero OpenOffice Integration→Preferences and click “Reinstall OpenOffice components”.
    8. Restart everything
    --Voila, worked for me - on a desktop and on a netbook. Whew!
  • This problem was solved for me by installing the "sun-java6-plugin" package on Ubuntu 10.04.
  • edited May 13, 2010
    I took care of the problem by installing sun-java6-plugin as well. I don't get why people keep mentioning "Firefox go to Edit → Preferences → Content tab → mark Enable Java" though. There's no Java there in my Firefox, there's only JavaScript there. Maybe they are using a different version of Firefox?

Like Gkgowlland, I was a similar problem on Ubuntu 10.04. I realised that I had icedtea plugins installed. I solved it by write in a terminal "sudo apt-get remove icedtea6-plugin". I hope this helps.
  • Hi guys

I did following things, it worked.

1.sudo apt-get remove icedtea6-plugin
    2.sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner"
    3.sudo apt-get update
    4.sudo apt-get upgrade
    5.sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre
    6.sudo update-alternatives --config java

There are 2 choices for the alternative java (providing /usr/bin/java).

Selection Path Priority Status
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    * 0 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java 1061 auto mode
    1 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java 1061 manual mode
    2 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java 63 manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number: 2
    update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java to provide /usr/bin/java (java) in manual mode.

boomi@ubuntu:~$ cd /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun
    boomi@ubuntu:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun$ ll /etc/alternatives/java

boomi@ubuntu: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun$ java -version
    java version "1.6.0_20"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode)

7.select the sun java in open office.
    8.Restart open office and firefox.

All the best.
  • Found the solution to the problem--see the link-http://kiddingthecity.org/blog/?p=1131

The author explains how to set up java. apparently there is a problem with ubuntu 10.04 and java. I tried it and it worked great--spent an afternoon trying other things.
  • Thanks waisman - that worked for me!
  • Zotero should be updated to work with openjdk and icedtea plugin for firefox as well as the proprietary Sun Java package. I suspect it's probably just some naming updates ... can someone tell the developers about this?
  • the developers are aware of this and have been for a long time - but I don't think it's as simple as you think - the fact that even the presence of iced tea breaks Zotero at time suggest a bigger issue.
  • The current version of IcedTea has numerous problems that prevent it from working with Firefox extensions. Zotero works with older versions (pre-Firefox 3.5), but a regression in newer versions broke the functionality we need, and every workaround I've tried has failed. There is a ticket on this here.
  • Thanks Simon. Has the issue regarding IcedTea been reported this to Ubuntu, IcedTea,and OpenJDK developers?
  • Simon,
    Besides Redhat, shouldn't the bug also be reported to the following sited, and referenced to each other and the Redhat bug page?
    OpenJDS: http://openjdk.java.net/groups/web/bugzilla.html
    IcedTea: http://icedtea.classpath.org/bugzilla/
    Ubuntu: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu
  • There's also an Ubuntu bug somewhere if you search for it. The principal people involved in maintaining the IcedTea plug-in are already on the cc list for the Red Hat bug. You're welcome to submit more bug reports with that information, but I don't think that much can be done unless someone feels like patching this issue him/herself.
  • Hello,

There are a number of threads about this “Firefox could not load the component...” issue already, so I thought I would add my troubles to an existing one.

The last time I used OOo and zotero a number of months ago, everything worked fine. Now I am getting the error as per above when trying to add citations in OOo. I am running Debian squeeze with Iceweasel 3.5.16, OOo 3.2.1, Sun java 1.6.0_22, zotero 2.0.9, and the zotero/OOo plugin 3.0b3.

I have tried every suggestion I have been able to find at the zotero word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting page, in these forums and elsewhere. This includes:

-competely removing openjdk and its associates (I already had the Sun java packages installed)
    -checking 'update-alternatives –config java' to confirm that java-6-sun is being used
    -testing Iceweasel at javatester.org (confirms Sun java 1.6.0_22)
    -completely removing/purging OOo, Iceweasel, and java-6-sun packages, .mozilla and .openoffice.org directories, and re-installing
    -checking ownership and permissions on .mozilla directory
    -checking for apparmor issues (not installed)
    -checking UNO and executable paths in the Zotero OOo Integration plugin prefs (various possible combinations)
    -cursing
    -praying to heathen gods

Here is the output from the zotero “Report Errors” dialog:

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Error calling method on NPObject! [plugin exception: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.lang.RuntimePermission createClassLoader)].' when calling method: [nsIFactory::createInstance]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js :: execCommand :: line 172" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 172}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js :: execCommand :: line 172" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 172}]

It seems like perhaps a permissions issue, but I have confirmed that:

a) I'm not running AppArmor
    b) I am owner and have full permissions on the .mozilla directory and below

Line 172 from integration.js is the second half of this statement:

var application = Components.classes[componentClass]

.getService(Components.interfaces.zoteroIntegrationApplication);

...which hasn't helped me much.

As I'm in a bit of a time crunch, I downloaded the standalone alpha version of zotero. It works just fine, but of course it is a completely different version of both zotero and the OOo plugin. I can import my old library and hopefully finish my work, but this solution is not ideal for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,

Jeremy
  • rather than use the standalone I'd recommend the 2.1RC version of Zotero, which is very stable. I don't think devs are very motivated to invest much more time in troubleshooting Ooo issues with the old version, considering that 2.1 has a new Ooo plugin (v. 3.5x) that likely fixes most of these issues.
  • Thanks for the reply. I did try to install 2.1RC today but it didn't like my version of Firefox/Iceweasel (3.5.16 - currently shipping with Debian stable). If I can't resolve the issue another way I'll try to roll my own .deb package of Firefox 3.6.
  • Hi
    I come from china, I have met the same problems. But the different is that i installed Zotero for firefox and Zotero for window.at the first the Add-ON in ms office 2010 is not not available, while open the Zotero for windows, all is OK
    YUE Yongpeng