viewing "related" papers in the central pane?

For a particular entry (say, Johnson (2010)) I'd like to view all "related" resources in the central pane (so that I can interact with all of them in more detail). How do I do this?

I was thinking that a good solution would be to create a saved search of all items "related" to Johnson (2010). No such luck. I can't seem to search on items "related".

I guess the other thing I could do is tag each one of these related items as "foo" and create a saved search on items with tag "foo". But this seems like a sloppy workaround.

Any other ideas out there?
  • No one? Is this a bad question?
  • Maybe I'm not fully understanding what you are trying to do but here goes...

1. If you tag each "related item," you don't need to create a saved search. Just select that tag in the tag selector and all items with that tag will appear in the middle pane.

2. But, why not just create a new collection, and drag the related items to the collection, then work with that collection.

Or am I missing something?
  • 1. Right. Yeah, I meant to say that.

2. Wonderful! This is what I was looking for. I forgot about collections because I only use saved searches. I was under the impression that you could only have an item in one collection at a time (like a folder system). Guess you don't. This definitely works. Thx :)
  • edited May 11, 2010
    Glad to help! I don't know if you've seen this page before, but here is a link re: collections: http://www.zotero.org/support/collections It might give you some more help.